_

Pages

Monday, 15 November 2010

Day 15 NaNoWriMo


I've amazed myself, my word count stands at 28294, I'm feeling upbeat tonight. This is the official halfway day. And I'm ahead Yay! I won't fib,its not been easy, its been hard work. There have been times when I've been so short of hours, and not really been able to believe I've managed to get my word count registered with only two minutes to go before midnight!

I've written whilst I've been cooking, putting down words in between preparing vegetables and cooking pasta. I've written mainly at home, but other locations have included cafes, hotel lounges, and libraries. I've doodled ideas during meetings, and brainstormed characters in the supermarket.

I had worked out a very brief outline, two days prior to the start line, I soon ran that off its feet at day four, and found myself flying by the seat of my pants.

At last I believe I've learnt how to switch off my internal editor! Its taken me years, but now I can say "this is a first draft, I'll go back and put it right later, but right now, I have to go on". It really disciplines you.

The concept of NaNoWriMo forces you to write. There is no giving up! Along the way, I've turned down all sorts of invitations, felt guilty about not seeing family regularly, had a crisis, worked full time, dealt with various teenagers issues, as well as workmen at home, and had pain in my back, and been to the swimming pool at least twice for my sanity!

I do worry each day about what I'll write, its scary! Will the words come to me? And guys, there have been two days I didn't make the word count. I felt bad the first time, but pushed forward and caught up, the second time, last Thursday, had a very negative effect on me. I had to spend time kicking myself into shape, whilst recovering my writing Mojo. Thankfully, that happened over the weekend. I even managed to push the hoover around upstairs. But downstairs will have to wait. Maybe next week, the house can stand it. I have fifteen days left to write a novel!

2 comments:

  1. Blimey! 28,000 is awesome for 15 days.
    Keep it up, Maria, you're halfway there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm feeling exhausted, the last couple of days have been hard work.

    I've got a day off coming up, which I was going to use to relax a little...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!