_

Pages

Friday, 31 December 2010

Goodbye 2010




Where have the last twelve months gone? Time passes incredibly quickly, and to coin a phrase, makes you realise 'Life is not a Rehearsal' as they say...

I won't long list what I've been up to in the last year, its been a Roller Coaster ride though, with the first six months spent adding to my first attempt at an Urban Fantasy novel. I've been on the project on and off for the last two years. Some of you out there in the Blogger sphere will no doubt be thinking I've been procrastinating far too long with it - well initially I thought the same. I now know this particular story requires more time, than I was prepared to give it. I realised when I took part in NaNoWriMo in November. I'll come back onto that shortly.

Far from sitting back, I've been busy on the writing front, steadily making progress whilst holding down a busy job, juggling a family and dealing with a bad back! My health has slowed me down a lot this year.

I've had a short story published in The Speculator, a speculative fiction magazine, and the same story has been adapted and made into a short film which will be released in March next year. I've been informed it will be going onto some short film festivals as well, so that is quite different and all new to me. I have also written a first draft of a brand new novel, which is resting, waiting to be worked on very soon.

This novel was born out of NaNoWriMo - my first attempt at writing a novel in 30 days. I know, I know, I promised to come back and write about my experience. My excuse, snow! I've seen enough of the white stuff to last me five years but we won't go there.

I can report, NaNoWriMo is hard work. You need an iron will to condition yourself into writing 1667 words a day! Your life is not your own for 30 days, and no matter what happens, you have to keep going. Beyond that the real worth, in my humble opinion is what you learn about yourself along the way.

What did I learn?

  • I can write every day
  • Sometimes I write well
  • Sometimes I write utter rubbish
  • I can reach my goal
  • All writing is re-writing (I knew this one really)
  • I am capable of anything I put my mind to do
  • The only person holding me back is me
  • Some stories can't be rushed (first novel) move on to something else
So...writing buddies everywhere, NaNoWriMo is a learning curve. I urge you to give it a try sometime.

Signing off now, goodbye 2010...it was a hoot!









4 comments:

  1. Hope the coming year is great for you, thank you for joining me, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just managed to finish my own blog and get on to
    twitter, so all of this is very new to me. I really enjoyed
    reading your blog and I wish you all the best for 2011 from Janet Moule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole - Thank you, best wishes to you too.

    Janet - You'll soon get the hang of it, I seem to get on better with twitter, perhaps because its fewer words. I am still learning about blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year. I hope it's a successful one for you. Thank you for following my blog and I look forward to reading yours throughout 2011.
    All the best
    Ange

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!