_

Pages

Sunday, 18 September 2011

Phoenix Writers' Group

Yesterday was a fun morning of writing, and critiquing, spent with my buddies at the Phoenix Writers Group. Its hard to believe we meet up for two hours, the time whizzes by, as we read and critique each others manuscripts.

The format was slightly different this session, we still read out our 100 word challenge, which was set last week, and we celebrated successes and commiserated over rejections.  We shared news of forthcoming competitions and additionally we tried out a fun writing exercise.

The rules were simple enough, our leader had prepared four envelopes. Each marked with Character, Setting, Object and Emotion. We randomly selected a card from each one, then we had fifteen minutes to create a story including all four of them. I picked,

Fortune Teller
Supermarket
Torch
Hope

I wasn't too alarmed, although there was much giggling about some of the combinations. Afterwards, we read them aloud to the group, warts and all - yet there were very few warts.The pieces of flash fiction that had been created were amazing. Quite unbelievable, given the short amount of time we had to perfect a micro tale.

Later, I'll type mine out, as I wrote it straight into my notebook, and I'll add it here for you to judge for yourselves. I won't cheat, I'll not change anything, other than running the spell checker over it.

Happy Writing








7 comments:

  1. Sounds such fun! I can't wait to find a writers group to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,

    Just visiting from the campaign and can't wait to see what you made of these prompts.

    I wonder if it helps, sometimes, to have the pressure of an imminent deadline or a tight word count?

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna - I'd recommend it, even if you have to try a few different ones out. Getting support from other writers is priceless.

    BucksWriter - Claire, deadlines and tight word counts are such a good thing for us, we should embrace them. They make you write better, it just takes time to accept these challenges comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna - I'd recommend it, even if you have to try a few different ones out. Getting support from other writers is priceless.

    BucksWriter - Claire, deadlines and tight word counts are such a good thing for us, we should embrace them. They make you write better, it just takes time to accept these challenges comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a good, innovative group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard - Its a great group, we are all committed and aim to help each other become better writers.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!