_

Pages

Monday, 26 September 2011

Second Campaigner Challenge


Rachel has set our second campaigner challenge.

The Challenge is:
Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem etc. The blog post should:
  • include the word "imago" in the title
  • include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate" "synchronicity,"
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make a reference to a mirror in your post. For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!

I have managed to do all of the above, amazingly! Please do have a read.
 
Project Imago
    The cocoon had been buried deep in the earth for centuries. Undisturbed, not a soul had known of its location, I do not count the undead blood suckers who clawed the soil away to bring it to the surface. They have always known this time would come.
 
    Miasma hung in the putrid green tinged air, making breathing impossible. I wore an oxygen mask, and heavy gauge rubber gauntlets, I could barely turn the pages of the ancient book they had forced me to work from, the lacuna, which they hoped I could work out, was the reason for my presence. Synchronicity was vital. I knew they would kill me afterwards.
 
    The pod cracked and tore, the blood-suckers writhed and worshiped on the ground. I saw nothing, so when the creature stepped out of the trench, I knew to oscitate now would be fatal - I couldn’t help it.
 
     ‘Pass me a mirror,’ she barked. I did as she asked, knew she was checking for a reflection. Heard her sigh, ‘it hasn’t worked’, she screeched, lashing out fiercely with her tail, I ducked as two of the undead flew over my head, crashing onto the ground behind me.

    The metamorphosis was incomplete.
***
GLOSSARY:
imago— n

Insect in its sexually mature adult stage after metamorphosis

miasma— 

a dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or 
atmosphere

lacuna — n

a gap or missing part

oscitate— v

to gape; to yawn

synchronicity — n 

an apparently meaningful coincindence in time of two or more or similar or identical events that are causally unrelated

I welcome your comments, and if you like my entry, then please go here and vote for #97, thank you, for taking the time to read.



33 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought I had read them all for the night! Lol! Very nicely written and you've def got me wanting more! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you left us to make our own minds up what she was or how she looked (other than the tail). It definitely made me want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your flow, there's a lot of character in the way you write.

    Very nice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this, it sounds like an excerpt from a very dark story, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I like your take on the undead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "‘Pass me a mirror,’ she barked."

    Hah! It was so serious at first, then takes a sudden turn for the funny.

    Thanks for the chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful use of the required words. Interesting story :-) You got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, great entry. Not an easy task to get all those words into a snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and dark; I enjoyed it! Different twist than I've seen, so far.

    Mine is #106: http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2011/09/platform-building-campaign-2nd.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay - like how you have gone for the yeuch factor!
    AliB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I love the mystery and the dark tones in this, very nicely done. You get my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could read more of this, I feel like I know just enough to want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That left me thinking creepy crawly bug like things...dark; I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mysterious to say the least. Liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good fire and brimstone pace with creative use of stretching words. Could be hell!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kind of disturbing but well done. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ew, creepy. I like how you work lacuna into the title of the book. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to know what happens next! Great job getting the challenge words in seamlessly.
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eew! This entry has creep factor written all over it. And I like it. The details really set the setting.

    Great job, Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maria,

    I love the "incompleteness" of this story -- the fact that we only see the precursor of what's to come! In just a few short words, you managed to create a curious world and a fantastic scene all at once! This is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Maria, this is so creepy, other-wordy and so you!! Well done ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was unexpected and strangely entralling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent - love the idea of the creature bursting out of the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eww but wow, I'm hooked. Great job working those words in there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh...I love this line: "the metamorphosis was incomplete" -- it really cinches it up and makes me want more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, fascinating. I want to know more. Great use of the words and creating tension and mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  27. that was a nice scene w/great anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dark and disturbing ... great tension as well !
    My entry at no.#185

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very dark story with strong description. Great job!!

    #189

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry, where do we post these?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!