_

Pages

Monday, 19 September 2011

A Walk in Calke Park



I love walking, and on Sunday decided to make the effort to get out and enjoy some fresh air. There are many benefits to walking. Health wise its good for weight loss, lowering cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of stroke, and in particular for me, easing the backache that plagues me from time to time. Its the easiest form of aerobic exercise and just about anyone can do it. I walk the streets close to home. Which is a town,  it has its good and bad areas like everywhere else. There is no doubt these walks are beneficial, however there is nothing quite like getting out into the countryside.


Being out in big open spaces, surrounded by nature is the best tonic for body and mind. So on Sunday I took such a walk over at Calke Abbey in Derbyshire. You can read more about the property here. On this occasion I didn't go into the house, preferring to walk in the 240 hectare Calke Park, of which 80 acres is a National Nature Park.

I took my camera to record the things I saw, its been a while since I've had both the time, and the energy to walk, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.


There are many red and fallow deer in the park, and on Sunday I was lucky enough to get up close to them and take some pictures.

A lot of the trees are over 400 years old and two are around 1000 years old, and are amongst the oldest in the country, they were once part of the ancient wild wood of the area. Many insects live on
them, especially those associated with decaying wood as is found all over the park.



There are also several types of fungi to be found amongst the oak, lime and beech trees, I spotted a few  varieties on my walk as you can see here. The weather  remained good all morning, and I missed the showers that happened later in the afternoon.



After four and a half miles of steady walking I was ready for a drink, I really should have remembered my water container, as after a couple of hours I found myself in need of something to quench my thirst.  Fortunately, there is a good restaurant at Calke Abbey, serving a variety of delicious hot and cold meals made with  ingredients that are sourced locally. I settled for a pot of tea, and a home baked scone with jam and butter which I fell upon like someone who hadn't seen food for a month!

Walking has enabled me to get out and about and discover a variety of surroundings in different seasons. It clears the mind, and allows you head space, which comes in handy when you're a writer, living in both the real world, and the fictional one you visit regularly.

I have learnt things about nature I thought I would never be interested in, like the fungi that grows in abundance in Calke Park or the trees and plants I have seen in their natural habitat.

I felt tired afterwards, I've recently had a virus that refused to relent, and haven't felt able to go out and about much, so the walk was all the more welcome.




12 comments:

  1. Hi, Maria,
    I loved this. And I felt as though I'd walked with you. So happy you took that camera with you! I only recently have begun following you, and I will check in from time to time.
    Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lovely walk you went on. I enjoyed the pics - thanks. I have to agree; open spaces and surrounded by nature is a wonderful thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,

    These are beautiful pictures. I'm glad that you took shots of the fungii and the mosses -- I think they're gorgeous. You really captured the spirit in nature in some of these photographs! Are you sure you weren't born to be a photographer, too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! Can't believe I've lived in Derbyshire for this many years and haven't visited Calke Abbey. Your post has inspired me. Looking forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorelei - Thank you, I'm on the road to recovery, feeling much better this week.

    Diane - I love the open spaces, hoping to get some autumn walks in this year so I can watch the trees change colour.

    Rance - Many thanks for your comment re photography, I do enjoy being behind the camera.

    MC Rogerson - I think you'll have a great day out if you go, its a fabulous location. So much to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics, Maria. We've never been to Calke Abbey, but I think maybe we should :) I think we've been past it, on the way to Sherwood Forest maybe? (I could be horrifically wrong, my sense of direction is appalling)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calke Park is a lovely place. I used to live very close by. Love the pictures btw...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved walking. My wife and I try to walk daily. We walk through a shopping center and an industrial park near our home. I doesn't look anything like your pictures, but considering where we are it's not so bad actually.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics and I so miss the good old English scones and jam (no cream?).
    I’m delighted to award you The Versatile Blogger Award:
    http://clairehennessy.blogspot.com/
    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth - Well worth it, there's something for everyone.

    Pat - Its still as lovely!

    Arlee - Any type of walking clears the mind, as well as being good for your health. :-)

    Claire - I love my cream teas! That's a whole different post one day. Thank you for the award, three other writers have also awarded it to me, I really should get to it and do something about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth - Well worth it, there's something for everyone.

    Pat - Its still as lovely!

    Arlee - Any type of walking clears the mind, as well as being good for your health. :-)

    Claire - I love my cream teas! That's a whole different post one day. Thank you for the award, three other writers have also awarded it to me, I really should get to it and do something about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog
    and will come back later on. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!



    Take a look at my page; cost of head gasket repair

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!