_

Pages

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

D is for Draft


Originally I thought I'd write about first drafts, and then because I'm in the thick of a horrid second draft I thought I might pen a few words on the subject. But I got to thinking about the title of this blog, and why I called it the First Draft Cafe.

At the outset, when I wanted to get into blogging, I thought it would help me to write regularly, and I wanted to share my hopes, and ideas and network with other writers. Setting up a blog seemed the ideal, so I took the plunge. Choosing a name was important, I wanted something to reflect the aim of what I was trying to achieve.  

At the time, I was writing my first attempt at a novel, after many years writing short stories. So 'first draft' was at the forefront of my mind.

I enjoy writing in cafe's, drinking tea, and eating cake is par for the course when you're a writer isn't it? It's thirsty work! I drew a mind map, I circled lots of words that were important to me as a writer, and eventually came up with the name First Draft Cafe.

Its served me well. Probably, all of my followers are connected with writing in some way, shape and form, and its nice when people find time to stop by and comment on something I've observed or written. The blog has evolved, its not just about writing these days, I also write about yoga, walking, and cake!  I think it's called giving something of myself away,  but I don't mind.  I enjoy  reading about the  everyday life of the bloggers I follow, it makes them more real. 

Its great to look back, and recall what I was doing at a given date, or month. I can reflect on how far I've come, and how much I feel I've grown as a writer. And of course I've made some great writing buddies along the way, who have inspired me,  and helped me when I've needed a friendly  ear.

If you're reading this,  and you're maybe thinking about  taking the plunge, and setting up your own blog, let me give you a push. Its definitely worth it!

9 comments:

  1. I love the title of your blog. :)

    It's amazing to look back when you first start writing and see how far you've come. I completely agree that blogging is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who kept telling me I needed to write a blog. I kept telling her I'd never write a blog. Now that I have one, I find that it is the one thing the I truly love to do! Blogging and writing my fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria, I've been keeping a blog for almost 3 years now and it's been a great ride. I am also from Leicester and have been living in Malaysia since 2006. Keep in touch!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment :) I agree, it's so worth it making a blog! I love the title of your blog too, it took a while for me to come up with mine and even now I'm still now 100% sure about it.

    This was a great post :) I'll be back tomorrow!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  6. New to blogging and serious writing, I was hesitant to do this challenge. What if I get it wrong? What if my writing is bad? But, you have to start somewhere, right? First drafts are just that--the first. Then you get to work on improving things.
    Thanks for the post on creativity at my site. I used it at work yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also loved writing my blog - too much. It totally absorbed me and I found I wasn't writing, which was the whole point of blogging in the first place. So very regretfully I cancelled it, and I do miss it. But the upside is that I am writing and sending things off again. Maybe one day I'll start it up again, but for now I enjoy following all you other lovely bloggers and making the occasional comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice and I love the title! Another new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherie - Thank you!

    Buffy - I agree, I enjoy blogging.

    Sylvia - Yes, agree its great catching up with A to Z blog posts.

    Duncan - Great to meet you Duncan!

    Nikki - I'll be over to visit again very soon, thank you for dropping by...

    Bethie - You are doing great!

    Maggie - I'm sorry you had to make that choice, but I totally understand. Do drop by any time.

    My Kids Mom - Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!