_

Pages

Monday, 28 May 2012

6 Things A Writer Should Do Now


In another month we'll be half way through 2012. Its time to take an honest look at what you've achieved so far, and what you can improve upon as we move into the final half of this year.

1. Assess the last six months  - Writing down your goals every week can help you to create a unique record of everything you write. Can you recall what you've done so far? Make a list, it may be much more than you think.

2. Celebrate Achievements - I'm not good at blowing my own trumpet, or celebrating my achievements, its something I don't think about very much. It's time to re-think my attitude. Celebrating success boosts confidence, and spurs you forward to do more, who knows it could even lead onto more writing opportunities. So be proud of yourself, and enjoy the fact you are making progress.

3. Identify Strengths  - I've realised it makes more sense to write about things I know about, or things I'm really passionate about right now.  Doesn't matter if you write fiction, or non-fiction, make a list of potential things. Include anything linked with your occupation, hobbies or interests. If short stories are your thing, incorporate your interests - make your character an engineer, a baker, a florist or a librarian, or set your story in a place you know well.  Somewhere you visit often, or your home town. If non fiction is more your thing, find magazines to pitch to in areas you are interested.

4. Identify Weakness - The whole idea of a review is to identify what we could do better, so identifying writing weaknesses is essential. I know mine, I struggle with time. Therefore, I need a different plan, and a more productive way of working. I need to identify more daily slots for writing, and I may have to set a word limit to keep me on the straight and narrow too.

5. Set Yourself a New Goal - I'm suggesting you set yourself an achievable goal that you can reach before the end of 2012. Perhaps publication if you are new to writing? Or finishing a novel draft? Or you could write three new short stories, or self publish a novella? Whatever you can do that is achievable and of value to you.

Challenge Yourself - This is so important - its invigorating to keep taking your writing in a new direction. I have learnt this through doing NaNoWriMo, and other challenges. Doing something outside your comfort zone is good for the soul. The sense of fulfilment when you complete a tough project is amazing.

Make plans today, and you never know what you'll be celebrating at the end of 2012?








11 comments:

  1. I'm always making plans! And lists are my thing too... It's sticking by them that's the problem... Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,

    Yes, I agree, lately, I find myself really having to keep a check on what I'm doing each day. Its so easy to get side-tracked. Especially juggling home and family into the mix too!
    I hope you manage to stick to your plan this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Maria. This is a concise set of prompts to keep us focused, on track and above all, moving forward. Ideal to make it pocket or diary size, print it off and carry it with you. Put it in your writers notebook, any serious writer will have one of those with them at all times. Enter it into weekly reminders on your phone calendar. Will be getting on board with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, Good to have you on board, the planning takes a bit of getting into but you will have a definite focus to take you to the end of 2012

      Delete
  4. Hi, Maria, My list usually gets longer. But I've just finished (and sent off) one novel, and two short stories! So, celebrated them all. I usually have some wine or just enjoy the idea of relaxing for a day or so and then go back to see what needs to be done on that fourth book, and other projects.

    This was a good post and good idea. I think it's the best way to keep your focus no matter if you are published, or hope to be. (^;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on finishing, after all that hard work, and effort you deserve some relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this list. I'm trying to do a bit less blogging and more book-writing, and now I am even more inspired. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amberr, I've got to do the same. I really like blogging though... :-)

      Delete
  7. Excellent reminder post, Maria! My weaknesses are time management and procrastination. It seems the older I get the less hours there are in the day, and I find myself struggling to get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! Ain't that the truth - my memory is getting worse as I get older. Another reason to create lists I reckon. Time management is a tough lesson, but together we'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great list! saying hi from the az challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!