_

Pages

Saturday, 2 June 2012

Happy Saturday - Remembering 1952

This weekend there will be lots of celebrations throughout the United Kingdom, as we mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, it is 60 years since she was crowned Queen.  Lets take a trip back through time to see what was happening on the music scene, and what the good people in England may have enjoyed on the big screen at the time.



An American comedy released in 1952 starring Gene Kelly, and Debbie Reynolds, Singin in the Rain was only a modest hit at the time, however as the years passed it's been elevated to one of the best musicals ever, by contemporary critics.



Do watch Gene Kelly performing Singin in the Rain its iconic! And afterwards listen to Dean Martin as he sings That's Amore.

Happy Saturday.











8 comments:

  1. dean singing this song always reminds my husband and me of his late father--he even looked kinda like him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan, especially when he performs with Sammy Davis Jnr, and Frank Sinatra. The three friends were referred to as the 'Rat Pack',and they ruled Las Vegas and Hollywood in their time.

      Delete
  2. They don't make songs like that anymore, do they! Lovely song for a relaxing day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, wonderful, and I have been relaxing. Hope your Saturday was peaceful.

      Delete
  3. Singing in the rain! Oh yes - one of my all time favourite musicals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see the stage version one day. I've heard its excellent!

      Delete
  4. I have never seen that film. I loved the Morcombe and Wise sketch though - have you ever seen that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember it well...very funny.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!