_

Pages

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Sandringham House & Gardens

Sandringham House & Gardens - Maria A Smith


Last weekend I took a break in Norfolk at the Sandringham Estate Caravan Club Site. What a fabulous place to stay, it has everything required for the discerning caravanner, and is immaculately maintained. The site is right in the heart of the Royal estate, and Sandringham House is only a short distance away.

The weather wasn't at all kind - heavy rain showers lashed down on and off for three days, it seems the weather in England is out of control, yet I still managed to get out and about with my camera. Something I love to do when I'm not writing.

I couldn't wait to explore the estate, I'd already seen the magnificent rhododendrons, and azaleas growing in abundance in the woodland. Many are visible along the roadside and are quite spectacular in both size and colour. The park opens daily, and no charge is made to walk along the woodland paths and nature trails where there is much to see and explore.

It seemed somehow fitting to visit the Sandringham Estate on Jubilee weekend, it is the much-loved country retreat of Her Majesty the Queen, and while she was away celebrating her Diamond Jubilee in London, I was discovering her beautiful home in Norfolk.
Sandringham House - Maria A Smith


The house is a pleasure to look around, and the guides are very friendly and knowledgeable. I have to admit, I felt a little cheated as visitors weren't given access to very many of the rooms. Although I understand and respect the privacy of the Royal family, it is, after all their home. The rooms you can see are beautifully laid out, and you are given an incite into life in the Royal household.

Afterwards, I went into the rather delightful Sandringham Museum, housed in the former coach houses and stable block. The collection is interesting, ranging from gifts the Queen has been given on her travels abroad, to quite a lot of State and private cars the family have used in the past. There are even two fantastic children's cars's and a full size fire engine!

Sandringham Museum - Maria a Smith


There is much happening on the Sandringham estate, the Fruit Farm staff are producing and bottling cider, made from last years apple crop. It will be on sale very soon and is expected to sell out quickly. I'm rather partial to cider, and sorry I missed out on purchasing a few bottles.

The Farm staff are busy too, looking after the cereal crops, and sugar beet. The recent rain hasn't helped, and a lot of the land is saturated making it impossible to be worked.

On the way out, I called in at the Gift shop, housed in the rather splendid timber Visitor Centre, where there is also a plant shop, and a country style clothing shop. The spacious restaurant was busy, and the food looked delicious. I decided to visit the tea room in the old stable block instead where they serve a delicious cream tea!

If you get the opportunity, the Sandringham Estate is well worth a visit, I had a lovely day out. But do allow at least five hours to see everything.

Sandringham Museum  - Maria A Smith










14 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! So much inspiration there. I'd love to explore a place like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed how lovely Sandringham is...the gardens are beautiful.

      Delete
  2. So jealous!

    I have an award for you. Stop by my blog to pick it up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes Lynn, very interesting place.

      Delete
  4. Sooo beautiful!! Thanks for sharing the pics. I found your blog from Write Me!
    Congrats on the award :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and welcome! I love taking pictures - almost as much as I love writing.

      Delete
  5. What an AMAZING place. I hope I get the chance to visit some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do...its such a serene place. Well worth the time. The woodland is amazing.

      Delete
  6. It looks lovely. May and early June are great times to visit because the rhodedendrons are out in bloom. The Queen came to visit my home town of Stamford yesterday. I was in London, so I missed the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard she was coming, she amazes me, at her age it must be tiring, and her hubby not being well too. She does us proud.

      Delete
  7. These are amazing pics of amazing places. Castles are so stately in the daytime. At night though, I think they're haunted with ghosts that died during from terrible times in the past. Hey, there is a best-selling story here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are fabulous, and I agree with you on the ghosts. Most definitely. Good to see you here.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!