_

Pages

Saturday, 28 July 2012

Happy Saturday - The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals


Have I ever revealed my secret hankering to own a jukebox?  From the age of four, my father would take me with him to the pub after Mass. An Irish tradition in Leicester, and my mother would enjoy a well earned rest at home, hopefully she managed to put her feet up.

Whilst dad chatted to his mates at the bar, I would sit and watch the goings on with fascination. The pub was always noisy, and people would tell each other stories, and jokes, and they'd laugh a lot. People used to make a lot of telling jokes back in those days.

The music was upbeat and happy, and I can still recall even now, forty odd years later, the smell of the beer, the sound of feet on wooden floorboards, and the haze of cigarette smoke. But most of all, I remember the happy smiling faces. 

I loved to stand and watch the records being loaded and played on the jukebox. Every click and whir coming from beneath the glass intrigued me more. I could read, and remember trying to memorise the names of the groups, and the titles of the songs It worked.


If I hear them now, I think back to 'The Kings Head' on New Walk, in Leicester with great fondness. Sometimes, I'd sing at the top of my voice and I'd dance too. It was the way it was back then. 

Every so often my dad would come over with a bottle of Vimto, a brightly stripped straw, a packet of crisps and a coin for the jukebox. What more could a girl want?

I lost my father when I was thirteen - I so wish I could relive that time just once more. 


Another song on the jukebox all those years ago




And when I wasn't in the pub what was I doing? Watching Thunderbirds of course like and self respecting infant of the time. Glued to the screen.



And the big hit film of the year? How many times have you seen it then? 



Oh nearly forgot, there was an important football match that year too. On July 30th 1966, England played West Germany at Wembley Stadium, London.




I hope you've enjoyed my little slice of 1966, I had fun putting it together. And remember, we are all making history every day. One of the reasons I enjoy blogging so much, is when I look back at the last few years, with fondness, at where I was in my life.
And another thing - Seriously, where would I fit a jukebox in my house? 
Enjoy your weekend.





12 comments:

  1. Awesome songs! Now I'm in the mood to drive across to New Orleans this weekend instead of Dallas. Bands now owe a lot to bands like the Animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, and when younger bands are interviewed, they often cite The Animals as their inspiration to go on and make music.

      Good music is food for the soul without a doubt.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. When I went away to college, my dad made me a tape. House of the Rising Sun was on it. Dads with good musical taste. They cannot be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, how wonderful of your dad to do that for you...

      Delete
  3. Maria, The Kings Head sounds great, and Thunderbirds - loved it! We watched all those puppet shows, Joe 90 Stingray, as well as Lady Penelope and the Tracey boys. Sounds like you had a cooler soundtrack to your youth - my Mum used to listen to Cliff Richard (incomprehensible to me now as then) though Dad liked Dean Martin, who always sounded like he'd just stumbled out of somewhere like The Kings Head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trudy, Dean Martin - now you're talking, one of the members of the infamous 'Rat Pack' along with Frank Sinatra, and Sammy Davis Jnr,they totally owned Las Vegas. Dean Martin did like his 'pop' by all accounts...

      Delete
  4. 1966 what a good year! I too lost my father at an early age and often dive into my memories to feel a connection with him. It's strange isn't it the little things you remember? And yes I do remember the sound of those jukeboxes and the crackle of the record that preceeded the start of the music, I think it built the anticipation beautifully. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne, its often very odd things that set the memories off too. I saw someone strike a match the other day, and it brought back a flood of memories. My dad used to strike matches in exactly the same manner. You have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  5. Lovely memory of your dad, Maria :) I love that you all went to the pub after mass, haha! I think I'm the only person in existence who's never seen The Sound of Music :o

    You're so right about making our own history. I too hope to look back on blog posts, in the years to come, with tearful nostalgia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you will do I am sure. So record everything now. Imagine your grandchildren reading your views on topics of the day. Or, your feelings about different subjects. All good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thunderbirds!

    Number 2 was always my favorite. Actually my favorite was number 4, but it couldn't function without Number 2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 3 that did it for me. A shiny red rocket, I mean how cool is that?

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!