_

Pages

Saturday, 7 July 2012

Happy Saturday - Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise



Some songs stay with you. It doesn't matter how many years go by, they are stuck in your mind forever.

Phil Collins wrote 'Another Day In Paradise' to bring attention to the plight of the homeless. It won a Grammy Award for record of the year in 1991, and Best Single at the 1990 BRIT Awards.

He was reported to have said to The Mail on Sunday, when asked about the song, " I wrote this after being in Washington DC where I was amazed by how many people I saw living in boxes."

Sadly, homelessness is still a massive issue.

Many years afterwards, this song prompted me to write a short story based on a character who became homeless through no fault of his own. He lost everything - family, friends, job, and he went from a top position in a financial institution to total destitution.

I believe the lyrics in the song reached out to me, perhaps a germ of an idea lodged in my mind back then. Although it wasn't until a decade later I acted upon it, and wrote the story. Has this ever happened to you? Have you heard a song, or a piece of music, and did it evoke you to write a poem, a story, or even a novel?


Enjoy Saturday.




1 comment:

  1. Another excellent choice. The strength of the melody is also illustrated by the Royal Philarmonic's arrangement,and the lyrics tell the story so well.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!