_

Pages

Thursday, 23 August 2012

Calke Abbey - The View Through A Lens

Calke Abbey in August - Maria A Smith

Calke Abbey is truly a magical place, and its never difficult to find something interesting, and different on each visit. The house itself is in a state of faded grandeur, and is often fondly referred to as the house time forgot. It stands suspended, remaining virtually untouched since the early 1920's. Once the home of the Harpur family, it is now owned by The National Trust.

On Sunday, I took myself off there, with only my camera, and the promise of a cream tea after my walk. It was a most enjoyable afternoon. Here are some of the images I captured on my visit.

August in Calke Park - Maria A Smith


The deer were preoccupied, with grazing on the lush grass, and were quite oblivious to any human presence. This allowed for some great opportunities, as often its impossible to get as close.

Calke Deer - Maria A Smith


I sneaked up on this stag, he seemed not to mind - sat in a shallow muddy puddle, he posed easily for the camera.


Peacock Butterfly - Maria A Smith

Butterflies are not easy to capture unless you're very lucky. I spent time chasing this one around, and after my seventh or eighth attempt, I got this shot. Not brilliant, but I was well pleased to get it.

The Peacock is one of our most identifiable butterflies in the UK, with its large eye spots, there to ward off potential predators, yet they are beautiful making this butterfly very easy to spot in amongst the foliage.


Walled Garden at Calke Abbey -  Maria A Smith


I wandered into the walled garden, not sure what to expect, as last time I visited the plants had taken a severe battering from heavy rainfall. I felt sorry for the staff who lovingly tend the garden. So I  was pleasantly surprised on Sunday, to see well cut lawns, healthy shrubs, and glorious bedding flowers. The entire garden was immaculate.


Calke Gardens - Maria A Smith


Time has a habit of whizzing by when I go out with my camera, and before I knew it, I was packing away, and heading off in the direction of the restaurant. You didn't think I was going to miss my afternoon tea did you?

Happy Days! - Maria A Smith

The perfect end, to a perfect afternoon!





14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had fun taking them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Eventually, I got it, I'm not good at waiting but its essential with butterflies. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous place and gorgeous photos. I love shots taken through trees and that stag is just so beautiful and majestic. Everywhere looks so lush and green - and your perfect end looks absolutely delicious! My mouth is watering! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm addicted to their scones! They make all the cakes themselves...thank you for your comment. x

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures, Maria. Thanks for the peek at Calke Abbey, somewhere I've never visited. That stag is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you should go, really good for children too. Lots of wide open spaces. A good playground. Various wildlife, including a super bird hide.

      Its also a picnic paradise if you don't like cake... :-) Or the temptation.

      I'm so happy with the stag shot, I have others too...I'm tempted to write an article now, and try my hand in the non-fiction arena.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous photographs. How did you get that stag to pose like that? Did you use a compact or SLR camera to take them? (yes, I'm still trying to decide.) I really must go to Calke Abbey. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, and a good zoom lens on my compact Cannon. Its a PowerShot SX230 HS, and I always carry it with me.
      I also use a Nikon SLR, which allows me to be more creative.

      As for getting the stag to pose, it was very much down to luck! And yes, you really must go...Autumn is my favourite season at the Abbey, its a photographers dream.

      Delete
  6. I had to laugh Maria - I read your post title as 'Cake Abbey'. Laughed some more when I got to the last pic. Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now YOU have just given me a fabulous idea for an article! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous pictures! Particularly that butterfly. ^_^
    Looks like you had a truly lovely time; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to head out with my camera over the weekend, weather permitting. Not sure I'll find any butterflies though...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!