_

Pages

Saturday, 18 August 2012

Happy Saturday - 1982


I will always remember Tears for Fears, for their 1982 hit 'Mad World' which went to number 3 in the UK Chart.

I've sneaked 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' in here too, I know it didn't chart in 1982, it was later in 1986, I believe, but its a great song, and I thought, well, while I'm on the subject. It was used to promote Sports Aid, an event ran to raise money for people in famine stricken Africa.



The news in 1982 was dominated by the war in the Falklands, unemployment had topped three million, and Princess Grace of Monaco was killed in a car crash. A few of the headlines I remember.

 

'Sorry' starring Ronnie Corbett was on the BBC, Corbett played Timothy, the forty something librarian who lived at home with his domineering mum, and henpecked dad. I managed to find a clip...


And this is what you might have been eating for breakfast way back then, and even now?



Those were the days. What can you remember about 1982?

8 comments:

  1. I love Tears for Fears - and we used to watch Sorry! I remember the Weetabix well :-)
    I remember watching the fleet leave for the Falklands on the news in tears. Most of all I remember it as the year my baby son was hospitalised with pneumonia - he recovered I am very glad to say :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life goes so very quickly, and you don't realise it at the time.


      Delete
  2. The only thing I know about 1982 was my entrance into the world!
    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duncan, what can I say...I was twenty, and loving life.



      Delete
  3. I remember watching Sorry, and the Weetabix add. Hubby sings a fantastic version of Mad World, so I never think of that as being an old song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it been done by someone else more recently. A cracking song...most likely will be done again.

      Delete
  4. My firstborn was one year old so I was probably very busy. I hated "Sorry"" and still cringe at the mention of it,..sorry! ...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!