_

Pages

Sunday, 30 September 2012

Goal List Week Commencing September 30th

Image Credit


October is a day away. I have no idea where September went, I just know it disappeared. After much deliberation, I am having to make some harsh decisions about my writing. I can't do everything. Therefore I must choose carefully what I spend time on, and when I do it.

More about that in another post, lets see how the last seven days went...


Writing - 

Send the short story out - I am stalled, I did a final edit, but need to run over it again as I am not quite happy with it.
Write two blog posts - I wrote four altogether.
Do some work on my novel draft - Yes, but not on the novel I was working on this month. Instead I dragged my first novel out, and reworked the prologue.
Flash fiction - 100 words for Saturday- Yes, done. Not as well received as I had hoped though, so I will look at it again.
Phoenix Writers Saturday session - A fun session, very busy, lots of prose to get through, and lots of lovely talented writers. Critique was fast and fierce but always constructive and fair.

Additionally, I've purchased Scrivener, an amazing piece of software for writers, and I hope to learn how to use it over the next few weeks. I'll be asking you all for tips, and tricks.

I've also researched a magazine I am targeting to write an article for in the near future. Yes, really. Article writing appeals to me, and its something I'd like to explore further.


Relaxation - 

A massage, because its long overdue - Oh yes, see here to read all about my lovely midweek break. Its a distant memory now, but I very much enjoyed it!
An evening out - I went to the pictures, and saw The Dark Knight Rises, I've been looking forward to going to see this movie for a long time. It didn't disappoint me. Very dark, and Gothic in a strange sort of way.
Discover a new recipe - Nope! Didn't get time this week. Although I noticed Jamie Oliver has another new book out this week. I'll be checking it out soon.
Tea and cake. Yum! - A very good week on the cake front. Coffee & Walnut, a cherry scone, and a Bakewell slice. Not all at the same time.

Boring but necessary - 

De-junking - Take a carload of stuff to the charity shop - I didn't get around to this one. I simply ran out of time.

Really pleased with the balance this last week, it seemed to work out much better.

The plan for the week ahead looks like this

Writing - 

Submissions - I will be sending something out this week.

Blog Posts - Planning and writing three posts.

Monologue - My homework from the writers group, and its going to be entertaining, the brief being, I have to write from the POV of an object that I share my early mornings with...something to do with breakfast. I will have to have a think about this one. Usually, I write very much on the hoof, however I can't see me pulling this one off if I leave it last minute.

Relaxation - 

Walking - I have planned two sessions as a minimum.

Music - Something new. No idea what, but I am going to do it.

Something to entertain me - Working on this one.

New recipe - Good Food Magazine arrived a few days ago, I'll pick something to whip up for tea.

Boring but necessary - 

That'll be the de-junking I skipped last week.

Household paperwork - Ugh!

That is the list for the week ahead. What are your plans?

18 comments:

  1. You're so much more organized than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, i started out small with just one or two tasks and it worked for me...I understand its not for everyone, but I certainly get more done.

      Delete
  2. What a busy lady you are. I have never made a list of what I will be doing maybe I should do. Sometimes if I have all day to myself to write my brain just will not oblige me and I have an unproductive day but when I'm busy my hands are itching to write. This week I will go swimming, write a blogpost,write a book review and decide how to decorate my bedroom. Not much but it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your list, do come back and let me know how its gone...and don't forget to add any additional stuff because that will really motivate you.

      Delete
  3. I love reading your weekly goals, you're always so productive :) I would thoroughly recommend Scrivener, I use it for everything now (it should even help with your article writing, I'd imagine!) The tutorial is really well laid out.

    You've just reminded me that I have had a bag of charity shop clothes in my boot for a week now, oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, I used the free trial version of Scrivener for NaNoWriMo last year, and really liked it for the novel writing. Didn't really get much chance to play around with it due to getting the word count for NaNo each day, so hoping to get to grips with it now I've purchased a full copy.

      Might have to hop over to your blog and ask you a few questions if I get stuck. ;)

      Delete
  4. I gave up writing to do lists. In fact I got in such a temper that I ripped my list to pieces and vowed no more. You do so well sticking to yours, I am tempted to try again! The monologue sounds great fun :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a small list, and one that contains treats! Do try again Teresa, if only for a couple of weeks. You won't know until you try... :-)

      Delete
  5. I've got a novel I want to finish the first draft of (I have a lot done already) and I need to research my NaNo project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you luck getting the first draft finished, and I'm impressed you are researching for NaNoWriMo. If I do NaNo again I'm definitely going to be more organised. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love that leaf picture! You're doing well with your lists. I try to plan more, but sometimes those plans go out the window with a toddler. This week, I plan to write a flash piece, edit a novelette, and write for my WIP at least on two days. With the cooler weather, we've been getting more family walking time in the evenings. It's been so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you trying to write with a very young child in tow...I never got very much done at all when mine were young.
      Glad to hear you're walking regularly, its something I need to get back into again. I always feel much better after a brisk walk.

      Delete
  7. Also love the leaf picture. Down under in Australia we are moving into spring which means that it is time to open up the doors and let in the sunshine.
    I have been spring cleaning, formulating new ideas for blog posts and taking the time for a daily walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were moving into Spring, I do like Autumn, but this year I feel robbed! The weather was so poor earlier in the year that we seem to have skipped summer altogether...

      I like your goals, can't beat a bit of Spring cleaning, daily walking and creating blog posts. I hope you get everything done.

      Delete
  8. Lovely leaf pic. Very restful. You are soo listy - I envy you. I do lists, then lose them. I need a list of my lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you make me smile. ;-) You'll have to get a clip board to put your list on, and tie it around your neck so you can't lose it...

      Delete
  9. Can you tell us a bit about Scrivener please? I use y writer ... it's free to download and easy to use. It helps organise your plot into bite sized chunks which can move around as much as you want without getting confused. I couldn't have written my book without it. I hope you have a good week. Helen Ellwood

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Helen,

    Best I can do is point you in the direction of the website as I am a newbie to it. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/ Once I get to grips with it a bit I'll do a blog post on my experiences.


    I haven't heard of y writer, it may be something similar, it sounds as if it works for you Helen...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!