_

Pages

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Don't Pick Dull Titles - Thought For Thursday

Image Credit
How do you come up with a title for your short story, or your novel? Do they come to you easily?

Sometimes it can be difficult to choose a really good title. Like puzzles they should provide clues or hints to what lies ahead.

I usually keep things simple, for flash fiction and short stories, a single word, or two at most. It isn't often I'll go for anything lengthy, and I definitely don't feel comfortable using whole sentences.

I'll try for something relevant to the storyline, a keyword is often enough to spark an idea.

When writing a longer WIP, I'm a bit quirky, I need a working title to begin. Doesn't matter if its not exactly right but I must have one in place. Something meaningful to the theme of the story, which will create a tone, the title needs to communicate something to the reader.

How do you select yours?

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes the title springs to mind before I write the piece, but often it develops as I go on. Novels I sometimes find harder but I try to visualize what the finished cover might look like to help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never give the cover much thought until I'm approaching the end of a novel, I might try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. Mine just come to me and that's what I use. Sometimes I change them. But, I'd like to come up with better titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little like that Richard, if really stuck, i draw a mind map starting with the most relevant word for the story, and working outwards. I'm often surprised what comes from the exercise.

      Delete
  3. Well Maria, I've been thinking for years of a suitable title for my WIP. Like you I want to keep it short, but it's turning out to be the hardest part of writing a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about writing a list of all the key words? Or asking a question? And using that as the title? Or the answer even...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!