_

Pages

Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Downton Abbey


I don't watch very much TV, but one programme that keeps me coming back every week is Downton Abbey. First aired back in September 2010, the drama has become hugely popular. It is reported that 10 million of us tuned in to watch the third episode of series 3 on Sunday evening.

We simply can't can't get enough of it. The period drama has won many awards and accolades, and has been shown all over the world. Set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey we follow the lives, and antics of the Crawley family.

I think its wonderful and heartwarming to see that people still appreciate good stories and interesting characters, and now there is talk of a prequel to the show.

The writer, and co-creater Julian Fellowes has revealed he is working on a prequel telling the story of the courtship of Lord and Lady Grantham. I can't wait!

What do you think? Do you enjoy period drama? Or are you riveted to something else on the TV?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I hadn't heard about the prequel. That's good news. I'm quite hooked on Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it, although I'd rather the new series be about the Dowager Duchess, as I think she could tell us a few stories.

      Delete
  2. I watch almost no TV at all, but I watched the first season of Downton Abbey last year on Netflix--I thought it was excellent and plan to keep watching at some point. :) I think it's interesting (and, as you said, even heartwarming) that so many people enjoy it because it goes to show that modern audiences can still enjoy a story with a leisurely pace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love Downton Abbey! However, do we always love all the characters who come through that front door? Personally, I disliked Martha,played by ShirleyMacLaine, and was glad to see her go. Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't keen, and I was pleased she wasn't going to feature for too long.

      Delete
  4. It's funny but I didn't watch it until near the end of the second series and Santa brought me the missed episode on DVD. I love it now its like getting engrossed in a good book. It made me laugh when they were going to loose the house and have to move to their smaller property,it was huge! We need more like this on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that too, and laughed when they said they were going to cut down on the servants...

      Delete
  5. I love the first series, but haven't watched any of it since. I don't watch much TV as I'm too busy with writing and reading.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Fantastic you're on a roll, I know you've got a lot on. I have neglected my reading lately, I miss it terribly. You have reminded me I must get my nose back into a good book soon.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!