_

Pages

Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Finding Neverland

Curve Theatre Leicester - Maria A Smith

Last week I went to see Finding Neverland at the Curve Theatre in Leicester. It was a wonderful performance, entertaining young and old alike. The Curve is a fantastic venue, and I feel quite proud that Harvey Weinstein decided to bring the £7 million musical to Leicester.

The show is based on the hit film by the same name, and follows the story of playwright James Barrie, and his relationship with the family that inspired him to write Peter Pan. Sylvia is an Edwardian widow with four young sons, whom James meets in Kensington Gardens not long after the failure of his new play The Wedding Guest. 


A longing develops between James and Sylvia, which is frowned upon by society, and there are many sad, as well as funny heart warming moments which stay with you long after the performance has finished.



Finding Neverland is quality stuff with a strong cast, performances from Julian Ovendene who plays James Barrie, and Oliver Boot who plays Hook were particularly good I thought. As were those from the children.

There is talk that the show will move to the West End, and then onto Broadway. I do hope that happens   and more people can enjoy the magic of Finding Neverland.


                                            


7 comments:

  1. They had a movie made of this with Johnny Depp that played here in the states the same year as "Million Dollar Baby" won Best Picture at the Academy. I went with a person that I suspect is probably a pedophile. Needless to say, he REALLY LIKED IT. I was like "meh...Million Dollar Baby will crush it." He was upset by my prediction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, I've not seen either of the movies, but now you have mentioned them i will see if I can rent them on DVD.

      Delete
  2. Hi Maria, my mum also gives good reports of The Curve. Whenever I think of Neverland I always think of Michael Jackson and his tragic life which culminated in his early death. He never really grew up did he?
    Support me against bullying today at my blog: Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Jackson was a tragic figure, so talented, and yes, like James Barrie's Peter Pan, he never grew up I don't think. Going over to your blog now...

      Delete
  3. It sounds wonderful, Maria - I hope the show reaches a wider audience :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like lots of people to see the show, especially writers, as there are many quips and funny statements on how the writers mind works... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful show! I will be in the Midlands shortly and willlook ut for it!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!