_

Pages

Monday, 19 November 2012

Goal List Week Commencing 18th November 2012

A Walk Around Hardwick Hall Parkland  - Maria A Smith

What a week! It started badly, and ended well.

For a while now I've been having allergic reactions to a variety of different food and drinks, things I can normally take without any problems cause me to wheeze, and gasp for breath. I've been quite unwell, as the symptoms have been steadily getting more severe. I'm undergoing tests, and have been advised I've 'probably' got asthma. The Doctor has given me an inhaler, but I'm not convinced, I expect time will tell who is right.

Consequently, my plans to continue with my WIP got put on hold for a few days, while I recovered, and excluded different things from my diet. I'm doing this off my own back, I'm learning what triggers the attacks.

I really didn't think I'd get much done, as its been tough trying to juggle work, family and with feeling under the weather too, its been tough! Amazingly, when I sat and listed everything  last night, I decided to cut myself some slack.

In the last seven days, I have...

  • Re-written a chapter 
  • Prepared for, and chaired a writers group meeting
  • Read a book
  • Ate cake twice!
  • Met up with writing buddies
  • Edited a scene
  • Been for a walk
  • Juggled a full time job
  • Dealt with family stuff
  • Ran the home (not quite so well) 

How have I done these things? I made a deal with myself, I said I'd do stuff  for just five minutes. I decided that I'd try and make some progress, rather than no progress. Five minutes is still action after all, and sometimes I got carried away, and did fifteen, or twenty minutes. 

I need accountability, otherwise I'm aimless, I have to motivate myself. We all do! But I celebrate my small victories too with treats, cake usually, although this week I rewarded myself with some new music, Ellie Goulding's new album Halcyon. Its amazing by the way.

Yesterday, I spent time with my writing buddies after our meeting, it was lovely to catch up with them all, taking time out over a coffee to chat and relax, without having to rush off to work, or meet a deadline. A nice way to end the week.

And so to the week ahead...

I'll be concentrating on my novel. I'm going to continue working in the same way, breaking the novel down into scenes, and working on it that way is working for me. 

Apart from that, I want to get out walking, and I've already made a start today, as you can see from my pictures above. The weather was lovely and sunny all day, and I couldn't resist making a run for the hills in Derbyshire, Hardwick Hall is a National Trust property, and although the house is closed now for the winter months, the gardens and parkland are open.

The trees were amazing today, really beautiful colours, and although it was very muddy in parts, the walk was well worth the effort. 

How will you fill your time this week?

12 comments:

  1. What fantastic pictures! You're a busy, busy woman. This week I hope to push myself to beat the NaNoWriMo challenge. And relax. We're having a stay-at-home Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Go, Go with your NaNoWriMo novel, its a great feeling when the end is in sight, and even better when you get over the finish line!

      Do make sure you get to relax after all your effort. Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. I have asthma and I can tell you the cold weather of England does not help at all! I used to be just like you in the autumn/winter/spring months, taking my inhaler around 3 times a day. As soon as I moved to Malaysia my asthma just disappeared without a trace and I don't need inhalers at all!

    I hope you can pinpoint the problem soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan,
      I can't believe I have asthma at my age...but, the Doctor seems to think so, and I'm awaiting the results of tests to confirm. I have more or less worked out I am allergic to sulphates, found in wine, beer, and a lot of food stuffs.

      Finding the triggers is half the battle. You mention climate, and possibly it contributes to the problem. I'm glad yours went when you moved to Malaysia, it sounds a great place to live. I am enjoying your blog.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you've been poorly - but you sure got a lot done! Glad to see that cake made it onto the list - and onto the photo montage, which looks very impressive BTW. (I think a scone counts as cake - it's certainly in the cake family!)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thank you Trudy, I was quite surprised myself. I have been continuing with the 'just five minute' plan today, and have got a lot of tasks done already, which will hopefully free me up to do some writing tonight. If I don't do it, i shan't be beating myself up though...I'll simply plan it in tomorrow.

    The scone was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics of the gorgeous Hardwick Hall. Hope the walk did you good. I'm wheat intolerant and although it started with digestive problems I now feel breathless if I eat anything containing wheat. Hope you sort it out. I always find it rewarding when I write down what I've achieved in a day especially on the days when I don't think I've got much done at all. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      I'm feeling better than earlier in the week, I now have some medication, so we'll see how that goes...

      I agree, writing down what you have done is a good motivator. I hope you managed to get lots done on our projects this week.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you're not well - and glad to see it's not slowing you down much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy, I try and keep going, otherwise I feel grumpy with myself if I do nothing at all...

      Delete
  7. Hi Maria, many thanks for stopping by the blog today and for your kind words. If you ever want help with the photography on any future novels your writing do not hesitate getting in touch.
    SHaun @ ValleysShutterBug.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pleasure Shaun, your blog is very interesting. Love your images...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!