_

Pages

Thursday, 1 November 2012

Putting My Writing First



Usually on November 1st, I'd be embarking upon NaNoWriMo, the month long word marathon which, if you haven't heard about, and frankly I'd be very surprised if you haven't, you can catch up with here.

I'm not taking part, but this doesn't mean I won't be grafting, instead it means I'll be 'putting my writing first' during November, and knuckling down to re-drafting the novel I began twelve months ago today.

The story is written. However,  the characters need more flesh on their bones so to speak, they're a bit flaky, and the back story is lacking in places. One character has to go. There will be lots of changes, and this will be my project for the month. I want to add 20,000 words. Tighten everything, and make sure it has clarity.

I'm apprehensive, but also excited, its like a new project all over again. I'll let you know how I get on throughout the month.

This does mean the blog will be different. Thats as much as I know.

Just before I knuckle down to some writing, check out this competition   but hurry! Its closing soon, and with FREE entry and prizes its surely worth a go?

9 comments:

  1. Good luck Maria. I'm not doing NaNo either but hope to put in lots of work this month on projects so plan to be busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suzanne,

      I will try to catch up with you to compare notes. Have a productive one...

      Delete
  2. A good project and focus for this month Maria. 20,000 words is a big ask, but you have completed NaNoWriMo twice and are a disciplined resilient writer. You can proceed with confidence. I have recently had instances where only 2 very small windows existed for writing my book. It is interesting what can be achieved when under this kind of pressure. I sometimes think that having too much time to write can be counter productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my problem Keith, give me a deadline and I shift into first gear...

      Sounds like you need to join me for a few word sprints. Keep going, you are very close now.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention, Maria.

    I tried Nano a couple of times, but decided it's not for me. Your idea of 'putting my writing first' has reminded me today is the first of the month. I need to blow the dust off my writing goals and get stuck in again.

    Best wishes, Debbie W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on , we can stay motivated together!

      Delete
  4. Good for you having an alternative plan, Maria - good luck :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Maria. It's amazing how inspiring NaNo is - even for those writers who are not taking part.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!