_

Pages

Sunday, 11 November 2012

Goal List Week Commencing 11th November 2012

Today I woke late, after a disturbed night spent wheezing, and coughing. I stayed in bed until mid-day listening to the local radio station who were covering the Remembrance Day service in Leicester.

I thought about the lost souls of war. The families left behind, without their loved ones, and it made me feel sad.

 It is right and fitting that we should honour the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice, so that the rest of us may live freely today.

I sincerely hope we never forget.

***

Last week passed in a flash, and I got quite a bit done on the WIP, especially after I watched a documentary which followed the best selling crime writer, Ian Rankin as he wrote his latest novel. If you missed it you can read, about it here where you'll find a link to the programme on BBC iPlayer, its well worth a view. You will be motivated.

I've split my novel into scenes, I'm re-working each one. Its a more manageable way for me. Mainly because I'm so time poor, and I can focus on one scene more easily, instead of trying to wrestle huge chunks of the story.

In other writing news, I've started  a Competitions and Submissions club, and on Saturday I held the first meeting which was well received. I was pleasantly surprised at the turn out, a very enthusiastic bunch of writers set to and made plans, it'll be interesting to see in a month how they have each got on in their quest to be published. 

The week ahead will be spent working on the WIP and there definitely be cake! What are you going to do for the next week? 

16 comments:

  1. I'll never forget that amazing heritage and honour they have passed down to us. Lovely post Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, cake! Sounds like you have a good system. I might have to try that when I'm doing revisions. That part is tough for me. I'll be continuing with NaNoWriMo this week. I'm halfway there!

    I put up my poppy today. I remember my Granddad every year. He was a proud WWII vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on getting to the half way mark, you're early too! I reckon you ought to celebrate with cake! And do trying breaking your writing down into scenes for the revisions. It might just help you as it is doing for me...I feel so much better about the whole project now.

      Delete
  3. I finished watching the Ian Rankin documentary last night and enjoyed it so much.

    Your club sounds interesting. I have no plans for this week - just hoping to write something - anything ;-)

    I agree, we must never forget x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the documentary, and hope you find your writing 'Mojo' soon. :-)

      Delete
  4. Get a new curtain rail as the other has just broken and fallen down, then write 1500 more words of the book once I've destressed and got back in the zone, then prep blog post, write 200 word exercise for Saturday Writers and read some more of C J Sansom's 'Dominion.'

    I reckon a novel is a series of events, so fits well with your strategy - good luck on tackling it scene by scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, that sounds a proper Monday morning calamity! Hope you get the rail situation sorted out quickly, without too much disruption.

      1500 words is a good solid target for today. I'll be starting with my project later this evening if I have energy left...

      Delete
  5. Cake. Writing! Good combo. I am horribly guilty that so many people are up and about on Twitter at 6am writing!! So am going to try to emulate them. Remind me of this, when we're greeting each other, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Carol, I will do my best then to give you a prompt in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Maria,

    A Competition and Submissions club? That sounds interesting and I'm a little envious it's not local to me. Looking forward to reading how that progresses.

    You'll never guess what? I started a blog today. Can't believe I've actually managed to do it. http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/blog.htm

    Debbie W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, Well done you on setting up your own blog! It takes a while to get used to it all but soon enough you'll be penning lots of posts!

      Fantastic you have been fund-raising too.

      Delete
  8. I was curled up and feeling well below par on Sunday too. Hope you're feeling better now. I'm only just emerging from the aching fug. That competition club sounds interesting and yes, we really, really must meet up for coffee and cake... but not until I've shaken this bug off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ros,

      I hope you are feeling better now, and the 'fug' has cleared off! These things are here to try us...I'm all but writing this week off as a non starter. Never mind, health comes first. Keep well and happy, and yes, tea and cake soon.

      Although, at this rate it may have to be a tea party, as I need to catch up with lots of other writerly types.

      Delete
  9. Writing in scenes can work really well. I wrote almost a whole book that way. It means that when you are stuck with one bit you can just move to a scene you want to write but I do have to rap your knuckles a little bit Maria! In your last blog you used the word 'hateful' which upset me. Your writing is not hateful. It may be difficult and challenging but like a recalcitrant child you must love it whatever it throws at you. Sometimes the most difficult phases are the ones where we produce our best work and sometimes by being unco-operative your story is sending you a message.
    So be kind to yourself and your writing. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Alex, You are quite correct. I shall consider myself told...

    The good news is - I feel much better about my writing now.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!