_

Pages

Sunday, 17 February 2013

Goal List Week Commencing 18th February 2013

Maria A Smith

Last week I had a birthday, I'm a year older! I treated myself to these lovely frilly primroses. At the moment they are on my window sill, making me smile, because they remind me that Spring is on the way. I intend to plant them out in the garden sometime soon, and eventually I'll split them up hoping they'll make me a few more plants.

 Birthday Card From a Friend - Maria A Smith


The picture above was on a birthday card from a writing buddy. I howled with laughter when I opened it!

Woman's Weekly Fiction Special - Maria A Smith

I went to a great workshop on Saturday, 'Writing Fiction for Women's Magazines' with Joanna Barnden. An enjoyable day for all participants, Joanna was all business, worked us very hard, and made the day interesting, and fun. Beforehand I purchased Woman's Weekly Fiction Special so I could get an idea of the current market. It surprised me to learn the magazines are more open to crime and horror nowadays, so maybe I'll have a go, and see if I can write something suitable.

I purchased a laptop for my daughter last week, and a copy of Word 2011 for my Mac, which  I'm now learning as I've been using Pages for a while. I ate cake twice, and drank coffee with friends. last week was busy.

Writing  - I brainstormed an idea for an article. Ending up with at least twenty ways I could go.

Went to the workshop, read Writers Forum, sketched out a new story, and wrote the beginning.

Walking - Got out once for a hill walk, it was a little snowy, so I cut it short.

Swimming - Twice and really enjoyed it! 

This week then,

Writing - I'll continue writing the new short story I started. Write a few blog posts, and continue with draft 2 of the novel. If I can get a start on the article too, that will be a bonus.

Walking - At least two outings.

What did you get up to last week, I hope you met your own targets? Have a good week.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Maria - time for som etargets for me. Let's just say 'fist draft cafe' souds like a good place to be. Enjoy your week.
    Ali B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, hope your week is productive.

      Delete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday! The primroses are gorgeous!

    Last week - don't ask! Hope you have another great week this week :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've taken the primroses outside this morning, I can still see them from the kitchen window though... ;-) One of lifes small pleasures. Hope the week ahead is good for you.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a wonderful birthday! Looking forward to meeting up soon, lots to talk about regards writing & crafts! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine four of us will be able to rattle on for quite a while about writing, and crafting.

      Delete
  4. Good for you in getting Word 2011. Their new stuff (2013) is going to be subscription-based. It's BS if you ask me. I'll stick with my 2010 copy for p.c. until it is so out of date I'm forced to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Office 365, it is a subscription service, so far so good. It was the only way I could get it onto my Mac... I know what you mean though! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Many happy returns. Missed you last Saturday, but glad to hear you were doing something enjoyable and productive. Good luck with Word in my experience you'll need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, I fancied a change, and I'll be back at the group session soon.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday (belated)!

    The flowers are lovely. I think we could all use a little touch of Spring right now- I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather, that's for sure.

    Didn't get all of my goals met, but at least I had an enjoyable week. That's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyable weeks are what we all need! Well done...I am sure you'll catch up with stuff.

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday hope you enjoyed it. Mine is not until July but I actually thought I was a year older than I am so I will loose a year when it comes which can't be bad. I need to get back to swimming but it's just so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a novelty, I might try that one next birthday... ;-) The pool I'm using have finally turned the heat up after customers voted with their feet, and left for a warmer one elsewhere. Mind you I imagine they'll turn it down again when they get a bill!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday! Love the primroses. We need cheering up. Snow forecast - AGAIN! Roll on Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so looking forward to Spring.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday! (better late than never)

    Woman's Weekly do seem to be publishing a wider range of stories now. It's easy to think we know what they like but unless we read it fairly regularly we might have the wrong idea. (A writer friend recently told me she doesn't bother subbing to women's mags as she doesn't right romance. I suggested she read a recent copy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy, and yes I agree, unless you are reading them every week, you just don't know what they want...

      Delete
  10. happy belated birthday!--i love those primroses----you talking about taking a walk, sounds good---no snow today and sun is shining--it's something about taking a walk in the crisp cold---although i rarely do it! hope you are having a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn, the week is flashing by and I have little done so far, so I had better get on hadn't I...you should try and get out for a walk yourself, you'll feel good for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated birthday, Maria. Primroses always remind me of my grandad. He had a huge garden and loved working it. Last week I was enjoying sleeping my own bed again after having been on holiday for a week.

    Hope all is well with you.

    Regards,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Hope your holiday was good, and restful, I always like getting back to my own bed after time away. My primroses are still going strong too! Although a bit of sun would be welcome.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!