_

Pages

Friday, 8 February 2013

One I Made Earlier - Nuno Scarf Workshop

On impulse, just before Christmas last year, and if I'm honest, lured by the promise of cake! I found myself signed up to  a 'Felting' workshop. I was going to make a Nuno scarf.

By pure chance I'd called into a craft show with a couple of friends on the way back from the writers group. They claimed to be 'just looking' at the enticing displays of Christmas goodies, I tagged along.

It was there whilst browsing, I met Alison Linnell, I really had no idea what I was embarking upon, other than I had very much liked what I'd seen on her display stand, and I was going to make a Nuno scarf on the day. Felting was all a bit of a mystery.

Fast forward to Saturday, January 26th 2013, and my adventure into 'learning' something new, which is  one of my long term goals this year.

Nuno Scarf  Workshop - Maria A Smith

The workshop was held at the West End Gallery in Leicester, which is well worth a look if you are ever in the city,  and our leader, Alison was there to greet us with a warm welcome. After introductions, and a cup of tea, we mingled, and got to know each other a little better. Then Alison explained how the day would run.

Our first task was to browse the lovely merino wool, chiffon, and silks, selecting whatever appealed. I was instantly drawn to my favourite colours, purple, lilac, and mauve. Interestingly, I noted my new found friends, and fellow scarf makers, had also, been drawn towards the colours they were wearing too.

Alison soon set us to work making up some prefelt, demonstrating the technique of pulling tufts of wool, and laying them out in two overlapping layers. I must point out, I'm not good at 'crafts' and was a little nervous, but Alison's easy relaxed style put me at ease, and as long as I followed her lead, I started to believe I might actually walk away from the workshop with a lovely unique scarf I'd made myself.

Nuno Scarf Workshop - Maria A Smith

I mentioned cake didn't I? As you can see, Alison kept her promise, and came up trumps with her home baked treats, and I'll admit, I sampled at least two, maybe three, of the rather delicious varieties displayed above, and can confirm they were very yummy!

The afternoon progressed well, after we cut out our prefelt designs, we laid them out on our scarves, and learnt how to to soap and rub, and roll our felt to within an inch of its life. Things were beginning to take shape.

 Nuno Scarf  Workshop - Maria A Smith

We were industrious, and time passed in a flash. There were more cups of tea, and more slices of cake. More rubbing, lots of water, and lots of happy chatter.

Nuno Scarf Workshop - Maria A Smith

As you can see the scarves are all very different and totally unique. Not only had I learnt something new, I'd made new friends too, and I had a new confidence in myself that perhaps I could get into this crafting thing after all...


Alison has a Facebook page here do visit if you get chance.

8 comments:

  1. Tea, cakes, beautiful scarf to take home? Sounds like my kind of day! Great pics Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - photography is another passion of mine. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Maria,

    What a wonderful day! I've recently returned to craft-making. It's a fantastic way to unwind and allow your writing mind to rest. Have you enjoyed wearing the scarf?

    Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, good to see you here, and yes, I'm rather pleased with my creation.

      Delete
  3. Wow, sounds like a wonderful day. The physical work must have made a nice change from writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ruth, it was good to do something else for a change. Mind you I took notes throughout, and wrote this blog post. ;-) so not exactly a complete break from the writing...

      Delete
  4. That seems like a fun way to spend a day. I love your scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great fun! I'm up for some more felting, I'm thinking a cover for my Kindle maybe...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!