_

Pages

Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Procrastination - Thief of Time Part 2



Back in January I wrote a post,  Procrastination - Thief of Time Part 1 I talked about working more effectively, and below are some more ideas I'd like to share with you, because, what I know is that by developing your own rituals and habits you can crush your procrastination.

ELIMINATE ALL DISTRACTIONS

Turn everything off - easier said than done, TV, email, facebook, Twitter, phone, whatever it is that distracts you. Turn it off, silence all distractions.

BECOME AN EARLY BIRD

What is it they say, the early bird catches the worm, so, become an early bird. Set your alarm, and get up an hour earlier. You won't know until you try is my motto, its worth a few weeks trial isn't it?

OR A NIGHT OWL

Take a quick shower, it'll revive you, and boost your energy levels. Then do an hours writing before going to bed, just once or twice a week will make a huge difference.

SET A TIMER

Dedicate a set time, 30 minutes, an hour, even a quick 10 minute burst. Working against the clock will help to motivate you, you'll build momentum. I did this during NaNoWriMo a few times a day, even getting other writers to join in via Twitter, it was VERY productive, and fun!

COFFEE

Get a caffeine hit, if you don't like coffee, chocolate or coca cola will give you the same kick and keep you going. Its a quick fix.

REWARD

Promise yourself something appropriate to the task, focus on the reward. A bunch of flowers for a chapter, a massage for completion of a draft, or a pint of beer with the lads, whatever motivates you to hit those keys.

PLAN AND PROSPER

Make a plan for every day of the week, that doesn't mean you have to write everyday, but by planning which days you'll be doing what, you'll feel better organized. Creating an even bigger plan will give you a bigger vision. Print off a calendar and fill in the tasks you need to do to reach your goals.

FIND A MENTOR

Hook up with someone who is where you want to be, ask them to coach you, or find an accountability buddy on Twitter, or at your writing group. Reach out, and buddy up with someone likeminded, but do remember, don't take advantage, be mindful that they are also trying to forge ahead with their own writing too. Repay them in some small way, a helpful critique, a nice new notebook, a lift to the shops, or, lure them out with the promise of cake. That last one works every time for me.

FOCUS

Focus on just one writing task at a time. This goes against how I work, but for many writers it brings results, you'll feel less over-whelmed, and seeing the results of  a job completed is motivational. I am trying to be better with this one.

What ideas can you throw at me? I'll try anything to improve, so do share, and together we'll crush our procrastination.

12 comments:

  1. I've been vacillating between whether I want to be an early bird or a night owl... My indecision has me doing a bit of both, which is not really a great system. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, maybe if you tried one way for two weeks, and then the other? ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've started keeping a record of how much new writing I do each day. Once I see what's average (it does vary a lot) I'm going to set myself a weekly target just slightly above that so I push my productivity up a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea! I like that...I've taken the March Achievement Chart out of this months Writers Forum, I'm going to use that to record my word count. I like the idea of pinning it up and recording writing output.

      Delete
  3. Today's time thief for me has been thinking and sighing. I just can't move past a particular problem. And I've been making far too many cups of tea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I know that scenario...I expect you've tried all the usual stuff like going out for a walk? Distracting yourself with the housework? Bit drastic that one...but you know what I mean. :-)

      I hope you find the answers soon. It'll come to you after a while. Your 'back' brain will work it out, while you're sleeping, or swimming, or practicing yoga poses. Whatever...I do hope you get it sorted soon. :-)

      Delete
  4. All excellent suggestions but recently I'm neither an early bird or a night owl. Must get back to a proper routine. This is what happens when you have a retired husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't use that excuse, however i have been all mixed up with timings in the last few months, so I know what you mean. Good luck trying to sort it out, I hope you find a solution that works for you. :-)

      Delete
  5. Good ideas Maria. I'm a great fan of vignettes and funnily enough plan to write about this on my blog this week! alex-gutteridge.blogspot.co.uk As you say it's all about finding out what's right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be over later to learn... ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm here through A to Z.
    Coffee, tea, coke, cake, chocolate together make me very productive. these are my addictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana,I'm looking forward to coming over to your blog soon.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!