_

Pages

Friday, 5 April 2013

E is for - END

Wading Through Treacle - Maria A Smith
Isn't it great when you finally reach the end of a project - Like your novel?

At last its done! Written, re-written, edited, re-written again, tweaked, and edited some more. Before finally being sent out to agent or publisher. Isn't it fabulous? Or do you feel sad? A wee bit lost even? Those characters you created, breathed life into, followed on a journey for months, maybe even years, they won't be part of your daily routine now. Are you going to miss them?

For every thousand or so would be novelists, only a few people seriously write and finish a novel. Its no mean feat. It takes time, energy and effort, and I applaud all of you out there with your stick-to-it mentality. I am convinced its the doggedness, that gets you over the finish line. It certainly was the case for me when I wrote the first draft. I had to get the story out on the page. However, refining it has been an altogether much  harder task.

I'm still chipping away, writing something everyday, and sometimes I get stuck, and I have to take my characters out of the scene, put them somewhere else, give them another thing to do, while my subconscious works the problem out. The second draft makes you realise there is going to be an awful lot of work, and future drafts ahead. Lots of wading through treacle, I call it.

Days when I doubt I'll ever reach the end, and days when I think I don't want to ever see, hear or write about these people ever again! And thankfully, days when I never want to let them go, and I never want their story to end.

I shall continue wading through fields of treacle, because deep down, I know how good I'm going to feel when I do, eventually, write,
THE END

How do you feel about finishing?

26 comments:

  1. Love this post Maria - reminding me and motivating me towards getting back to trying to finish my first draft. I'm looking forward to that initial sense of achievement, even though I'm well-aware that it will only be the start of another long journey - but a fun journey nonetheless.

    As Churchill said, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Churchill - man of words. Brilliant!

      I'm looking forward to seeing some of this novel soon.

      Delete
  2. I have two almost completed novels but I can't get the endings right so this is how I feel about endings... Aaaaagh!

    Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can fully understand that feeling! At least we're admitting it...

      Delete
  3. Once again you've hit my particular nail on it's head. I was feeling quite distanced from my finished story - reluctant to get on with the final, fine-tune pass & really call it The End. Whatever was holding me back has now dissolved. I'm simply seeing the glitch for what it was - a moment made up of 'lost' & 'anti-climax' with a bit of 'scared' thrown in for good measure.

    I'm taking a few days off & then I'll be all over that final pass like a kid on a cake!

    Thanks Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Good luck... ;-)

      Delete
  4. I have a bit of a battle between feeling glad/excited that I've finished it, but also sad that I have to let it go. I do love the editing process to get it to the 'end' point, but I still want to hold onto it, just for a little bit longer.

    http://rebeccahgiltrow.blogspot.co.uk/p/a-to-z.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the editing, but sometimes its a painful process, and I agree i like hanging onto my characters.

      Delete
  5. i think for the most part, i feel pretty good when finishing something---cool post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to stop when you get to the end of that first draft and take a deep breath to enjoy the sense of completion. The editing process can be arduous and oh so depressing so it's best to enjoy the tiny triumphs along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about triumphs along the way.

      Delete
  7. I love finishing - but it always seems to be a false ending.

    Because there's ALWAYS another redraft to be done! Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, there will be a point where you just have to send it out into the world. :-)

      Delete
  8. Finishing is all that matters. It feels great every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you do!

      Delete
  9. I remember a couple years ago when I finished my first draft and I actually cried, but not because I was happy I'd finished, but because I thought I was being torn from my characters's world. Silly me! Little did I know, in order to be published, I'd have to spend another year+ revising! The End is never really the end, is it?

    (New follower via the A to Z)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. It's good to see other people struggle with the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you mean... :-)

      Delete
  11. Since I am still on the 'getting it written' portion, I will have to see how I feel after. But it would surprise me that I would feel a bit down, having these people renting space in my head, then moving out...

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am at this stage now, where I am finishing up the final revisions on my first fiction novel, and it is a little unnerving to have to say goodbye, even if only temporarily, to characters that I have grown to love so much. On the other hand, knowing that I have pushed myself to complete my goal makes me feel proud of the achievement, regardless of what happens next.

    Often when I would get stuck while writing a scene, I would rewrite the scene from one of the other character's POV, trying to ask the question, "What am I trying to accomplish in this scene? What's the purpose of this scene?" That would usually work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What am I trying to accomplish in this scene? What's the purpose of this scene?" Great advice!

      Delete
  13. Have enjoyed hearing a large part of this. Its a goer and you must feel a huge sense of elation and relief now that its complete. Congrats and good luck on the submission.
    The range of emotions you describe is what makes writing such a unique experience. We are privileged to be able to travel on these journeys and take our readers with us.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!