_

Pages

Thursday, 11 April 2013

J is for - Just Ten Minutes


Just 10 minutes is all you need to kick start your writing. You'll quickly get into the habit of doing it everyday and it won't take much effort, after all even the busiest of us can squeeze a few minutes from our day.

I've done mine whilst waiting to collect my children from school, between appointments at the doctors and the dentist. I've also made the time special, by sitting in a nice cafe supping tea, and eating cake.

Write about anything, your day, or a scenario between two lovers, or strangers on a boat, in a bar, having an argument, whatever. Or choose a word and just write anything you associate with it, what ever comes to mind. It doesn't have to be perfect.

You could of course do those 10 minutes on a writing project you've already started?

Free writing unlocks the mind. If you've been struggling with getting going lately, this method could work for you, and give you the confidence you need, or you may just look up from the clock and realise you've written a blog post, or a piece of flash fiction, or a new story start, of course you may have also written well over your time too. Brilliant!

It also works pretty well for clearing clutter from the home. If you can't bear the thought of clearing a room of junk, just break it down into daily 10 minute chunks. I recently tried this, and did it every day when I came in from work before I got started doing anything else.

Amazingly, after two weeks, I had a half cleared room,  a big bag of stuff for the bin, several boxes for the charity shop, and a good feeling, I had made progress on a job I'd been putting off for ages. Bit like some writing projects.

Go on, spend just 10 minutes - Let me know how you get on.

I'll be back tomorrow with the letter K.

13 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I use to keep a note book and pen handy in my purse...until I got a smart phone with it's own "note pad"...

    ...now I just type away even more on my phone ;)
    oh well!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Maria. I agree that any task becomes more achievable if you break it down in to little bits. Most of the time we let ourselves become deflated by focusing on the enormity of the task and then not bothering with it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria

    It's amazing how these 10 minutes of writing snippets add up and become hours of work which you can pick and choose from. I have a notebook (well - about 20 really) which I add to. One's for personality traits/description of character, one's for setting the scene/nature, one's for story lines etc.

    And of course there's always the hand bag notebook all writer need!

    Love Ange x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how much you can get done if you do a little bit at a time.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could definitely use this tip for housework. Although 10 minutes of cleaning = 10 seconds for my kids to undo it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 minutes of being productive is much better than never making a start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how quickly time goes when you sit down at a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent advice - just one more question. When do I write when I use all those 10 minutes to write my A-Z Challenge posts… ;-) Helena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I always keep a notebook in my purse to catch those moments that would get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really love this post and definitely take this on board. I really want to improve my writing skills, so a 10 minute practice can certainly help (I think). It's definitely something I will apply to some household jobs I need to get sorted!

    Great letter J!

    Kate
    The Tales of Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I've always written in bits and pieces. Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, visiting here from A to Z. You are so right. This is sometimes the only way I can get started with daunting tasks. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a great fan of the 10 minute rule. I only wish I could incorporate some form of exercise with it aswell (as I do ZERO right now).

    I hope my writing warm-ups can provide help to anyone who has 10 mins to write but don't quite know what to write about. :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!