_

Pages

Tuesday, 16 April 2013

N is for - New Things Tried

I'm A Writer - Maria A Smith

On Saturday I tried something new, I helped a fellow writing buddy to run a workshop on Scriptwriting, it was fun! I enjoyed helping other writers to enjoy the day, and I learnt a lot along the way too.

Last week, I interviewed the main character in my novel,  you can read it here  I learnt things about her, that hadn't surfaced before. It'll help me to weave more interest into my story after the A to Z Challenge finishes.

Back in February, I decided to put a chart on my fridge to track how much writing, or related writerly activity I did everyday. It was eye-opening, I do far more than I think I do. This has given me a renewed confidence and much more energy to keep going!

My point - I did something new - something different. I stepped out of my comfort zone, and it has bought me dividends.Why don't you try it too?

You might be thinking about entering a competition, or subbing a story to an overseas publication, or sending your novel to an agent? Maybe you want to go to a writers group for the first time, or have your writing critiqued by a writing buddy, but you're too shy to ask? Don't be, step up and ask, or go to that meeting, send that novel, sub your story, because new things tried bring value to your writing, and to you.

I urge you to try something different today. Then come back and tell me how it changed your writing life.

More from me tomorrow.


9 comments:

  1. I think interviewing a character is such a great idea! I am going to try something new today - but it hasn't anything to do with writing :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Maria and very true. Every time I've gone outside of my comfort zone, something positive has happened. Well . . . all except the time I tried to cook Salmon Tagliatelle for my wife. It was a good job the fish and chip shop was still open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. Trying something new is probably the most important thing you can do. Doing the A-Z Challenge has been my new thing this month and I'm so glad I decided to have a go. So thanks Maria for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely worth trying new things. Nothing as bad as regretting a missed opportunity.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more, Maria :) new endeavours and breaking out of your comfort zone always end up being so worthwhile. I felt like that when I joined my writer's group a couple of months back. Now I feel I've come so far with my writing, just from the feedback and interaction with other writers. Congratulations on your successful scriptwriting workshop, that sounds exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that mug picture! I tell my family that about my blog =).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of a wooden sign I saw once.
    "Do something brave, then run like H@@@."

    I always meant to take a picture of it.

    Stepping out of the comfort zone is never easy but I will ponder the possibility today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to put such a chart on my fridge! Although, my fear is that it would reveal me to be as lazy bones as I think I am.... :)

    What a fantastic name for your blog. Excited to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to be more organised with my writing. It's great to try something new but also scary.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!