_

Pages

Friday, 19 April 2013

Q is for - Quest

Walk in the Woods - Maria A Smith

Quest is a journey towards a goal. Many of you reading this will probably be thinking of your own goals. Perhaps something simple like writing one new idea in your notebook today. Or several hundred words before lunch.

Many stories are quests, the 1963 film Jason and the Argonauts comes to mind, where our Greek hero is tasked with finding and retrieving the legendary golden fleece. There are lots of perilous happenings along the way, which Jason must overcome, to succeed, an adventure with many twists and turns.

My novels are certainly perilous journeys, my character is required to face bad situations, again and again, and make difficult choices, to reach their goal. Often, what they were looking for in the beginning is not what they get by the end of the story, it becomes immaterial, as I undercover what the story is really about underneath the surface.

Maybe you have a much bigger writing goal? If so, have you broken it down into more manageable chunks, like this blog challenge for instance?  I'm writing a post everyday, together they'll make up the twenty six posts I need to complete the A to Z challenge. Along the way, I'm learning, overcoming obstacles, laughing at myself, and meeting new friends along the route. 

Last night my internet connection failed due to bad weather. Last week, I didn't have an evening that I didn't sit down to write before midnight, and I thought 'why the hell am I doing this!' I could quit now. But quitting isn't an option. 

By the end of this month, I'll have gained much, the challenge is a convenient reason for me to make the journey. Its really about something else. 'Have I got the stamina?' Can I cut it? Are deadlines something I can achieve and maintain? 

What I'm trying to say, is that if the A to Z challenge were fiction, then it is a 'MacGuffin' in my case. A plot device, a motivator, a journey, I'm willing to take to find out more about myself as a writer. Quest is something that all of us, taking part in the A to Z challenge are doing right now. But remember - its the journey that counts - what will yours reveal about you?

Happy Writing

5 comments:

  1. Good, sums up my writing habits in a nutshell. This challenge is making me hit deadlines again though. Nice blog, your on the list! :) - Chris

    http://thenovabug-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The A-Z Challenge is a great quest. The journey is definitely the best part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria - great post. With this Challenge, I'm definitely learning about myself and others and overcoming obstacles along the way.

    Had to smile at one of your statements. What you said about Quitting is a Quote from my Day Q. ;)

    Barbara
    Q: Quitting is not an option
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone has goals, but not everyone sets out to achieve them. Just setting off on a quest can change your whole way of being, never mind getting to your destination.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my quest will say that I can stick with things and get them finished. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!