_

Pages

Friday, 19 April 2013

R is for - Reinvent Yourself

Reinvent Yourself - Maria A Smith

Its never too late to re-invent yourself, to change what you're doing, or how it looks. Maybe its long overdue? One or two changes will do you good, and help you become the writer you want to be.
If you want to write something longer than short stories, begin a novel. What about a stage play? Or if you haven't done any flash fiction yet, why not have a go?

Start the journey now, get ready to reinvent yourself.

  • Go to your bookcase and throw out anything you've read, and don't think you'll read again. I'm serious. Do the same with old magazines. If you really can't toss your back copies of Writing Magazine and Writers Forum into the recycle bin, then take them along to your writers group, and put them in the middle of the table, tell your buddies to help themselves. In my experience you'll soon see the pile disappear. De-cluttering is good for the soul.
  • Throw out anything you were going to use 'one day' but haven't touched in months, possibly years! Anything that doesn't fit into your writing life now - get rid of it! I seem to have lots of old cuttings and software discs, and all other manner of computer stuff. Its languishing in a bag, gathering dust. I also have a cupboard full of things I thought I'd use, like pamphlets, and old documents. I really need to sort those out.
  • Get a decent seat, its important for your posture, you're sat at that desk tapping those keys too often not to bother. I use a mesh back support, and have started going for a massage every six weeks too. Look after your back, sit tall. 
  • Change your writing space, move the furniture about, decorate, put a vase of flowers nearby, or buy yourself something special to announce you are reinventing yourself.  I purchased a new laptop bag, and notebook!
Clearing the decks like this, will give you a sense  of change, a new beginning.

22 comments:

  1. I am currently reinventing myself - it's hard work :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometime it is Teresa, but you'll get there.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Maria. The sun is out today, too, which only serves to make me feel even more optimistic. Re-inventing yourself is great advice, for life in general as well as writing.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. But throwing things away is scary. What about if I need it at some distant point in the future?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is...but once you make the leap it feels good. Especially, if you give your things to charity shops, where you know they'll do some good, or to a friend in need.

      Delete
  4. Great tips, but I am never, ever going to be able to throw away books. Even ones I don't like are in the loft. I almost gave one away once, but changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never throw a book away - giving them to good homes is what I try to do... ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great pieces of advice - every single one. I make time to write no matter what, but have the right spot and atmosphere helps make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy good for you...I manage to write several times a week. Sometimes real life gets in the way though... ;-)

      Delete
  6. I am in dire need of reinvented myself- a whole overhaul would be nice. But I'd settle for a new hair style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost mentioned a new hair style, but then couldn't link it to writing...it works for me though! I always feel better when I've been to the salon.

      Delete
  7. Great posts, I love being organized, and always clean up and set things right before I start a new project, in the middle of one, things are a mess!

    Nice to meet you via the A to Z Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try hard not to get in a muddle mid-stride, however I always do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I am about a hairs breathe away from being on hoarders!! I need to take your advice! Great R post.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie, I have a room I need to clear out...it is sapping my energy.

      Delete
  10. Every second we can choose to reinvent and create who we want to be. Create some space for reinvention is also being able to complete what has been there before, in order to move forward. On my way to empty those drawers... :)
    With great respect! A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has been ongoing for me. Have lived in 18 homes, so got used to packing and tossing things at an early age. But it's harder the older one gets. Too much sentimentality attached to all those things!! Just saying hi in A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent suggestions! This sort of thing works great for me. Stopping in from A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been trying to de-clutter for the last year, but somehow still keep accumulating more stuff. It's a good thing to do though, especially with writing. :-)

    Short Story Ideas & Just Ermie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Throw out stuff...*has panic attack*...I've been endeavouring to get through my clutter for a while now, I'm improving. I can't chuck most stuff, so I'm piling anything that can be reused into bags to give to the local charities. Writers mags get torn to shreds and intresting articles kept on file until I can chuck them. I've a brand new writing space that I hope to start using real soon. So yes, moving stuff around, getting rid of what you can is good. brilliant post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to throw lots of stuff out,but I might need them....

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!