_

Pages

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

T is for - Tweak It!

Recycle - Reinvent 


Everything can be tweaked, recycled and reused with a bit of thought. The two hundred word flash fiction pieces I do weekly for my writing group are often used for competitions. I may have to increase or decrease the word count, or add a specific word to meet the competition criteria, but usually it isn't too difficult.

Sometimes, I'll continue on from where I finished the original piece, until I have a short story. Or a new chapter in the novel. Sometimes, I'll use them to flesh out a character, which helps me to breathe more life into them on the page.

Recently, I tweaked a six hundred word monologue I wrote last year, to fit the brief for a short story competition. It meant a rewrite of sorts, but by cutting some words and adding additional information, changing the title, and polishing, it has been given a new lease of life.

Often, writers file away pieces of writing, and forget about them. Why not have a look back into those files, and see if there is anything you can revamp for a competition, or perhaps something you could submit to a magazine or newspaper.

Nothing is wasted  - not if you are prepared to give it a tweak!





10 comments:

  1. As always great advice, not that I actually write anything apart from my blog but if I did great advice ;)

    But tweaking things can be used in all parts of your life I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, agree, all parts of life can be tweaked...

      Delete
  2. Great Post Maria - and something I don't do enough of. Great idea to try to recycle old stuff. I have started to plan short stories based on some of my songs though - sort of using them as writing prompts - which is another way to approach it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good advice. I think I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good advice! I'm redrafting a years-old Nanowrimo effort that has a whole new lease of life now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. I'll have to go back and see if I can tweak some of my flash fiction stories per your suggestion. This sounds like an intriguing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great advice. All to often I read about writers who have old manuscripts locked away. I think they would benefit so much from bringing them out and revamping them.

    Have fun with a-z. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great post!! Thank you, and I think I may just look up some of my old writings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, I just recently tweaked an old story and turned it into something fresher and new.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!