_

Pages

Monday, 29 April 2013

Y is for - Yellow Submarine

Made famous by The Beatles, written by Paul McCartney, and sung by Ringo Starr, Yellow Submarine went to number 1 in the british charts in 1966. At the time there were many interpretation of the song, although it was claimed that it was originally written and aimed at children. Almost a nonsense song, lots of people thought the song had a deeper meaning about drugs and war.

Maybe when McCartney wrote it he was thinking about stuff going on in the world at the time, I know as a writer, that things around me influence my writing. I don't believe anyone who writes, never reveals things about themselves. Be it their world, their emotions, or happenings around them.

Some will admit they glean their ideas from life going on around them, whilst others will quietly scribble away, perhaps without realising. Writing, whether a song or a monologue, a novel chapter, or a play reveals much...

Don't dwell on it, stop chewing your lip, and worrying about what you've just written today. Chances are no one will notice. Unless of course, they know you very well, and then so what? Doesn't it prove we are alive? We think and yes we interpret...

Let us not fret about it, keep those thoughts tumbling onto the page.

Happy Monday!


9 comments:

  1. Beatles posts are always good, Maria - thanks for featuring them in your Y post. For me, like most things McCartney writes, it's just a really catchy, fun song. My favourite part of it is all the silly voices and sound effects - "Full speed ahead!" etc.

    It's impossible to entirely remove yourself from your work - even if you try to resist it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fun bit for sure... ;-)

      Delete
  2. I reveal things about myself in my writing. When I go back and rework something I can tell you what influenced that particular chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am the same Jai, its difficult to avoid.

      Delete
  3. Yellow Submarine is a prime example of words being open to many interpretations. It's the beauty of simplified language, I think. I know what you mean when your writing reveals your thought process. I read pieces I wrote last year and am instantly taken back to what was going on in my life at the time, even if there's no reference to it in the writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind that we give something of ourselves away in our writing, it makes it more real I think...

      Delete
  4. I agree that however much we might try not to, we do reveal something about ourselves in our writing. Even the fact that we try not to reveals something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow submarine makes me think of my friend's house in about 9th grade. Her dad had all the Beatles on vinyl. As far as writing, I'm a little bit pulling from an alternate universe, as well as filtering in things from my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought of Yellow Submarine as just a fun song. But that's also what I thought about Lucy in the Sky with
    Diamonds, and it seems there are different interpretations of that one.

    Writers put their own spin on things, and a spin on one subject could be entirely different from day to day depending on what's going on in our lives.

    Barbara
    Z is for Zzz-z-z... and an SOS
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!