_

Pages

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

The next BIG Thing - 15K in May

Do It - Mara A Smith

Good morning, and welcome back to the First Draft Cafe. April kept me busy, as I took a roller-coaster ride of blogging daily, which required not only discipline, but the stamina to write and publish something on the blog everyday. And so I got to thinking... What if?

What if I could do something like this to help me get closer to finishing my novel. The WIP I often describe, and refer to as a wading through a 'field of treacle' where I trudge wearily, not really making the progress I need to reach the finish line. My thinking - if I turned up to write every day in May, like I had for the A to Z, challenge, switching to fiction, would it make me more productive? Could I get the rhythm going to write fifteen thousand words?

And what if other writing buddies wanted to join me on this quest? Other writers who want to finish a novel draft too, be it the first, second or twentieth?  Wouldn't that make the journey better? Knowing I was in good company. Yes! Of course it would, and it would also make us accountable to each other too. And so, a plan began to form in my mind.

I'll be doing the challenge with two other writers I met via Twitter, @MrKelly2u (Wayne) and @lynneinpborough (Lynne) and between us, we've decided to call it '15K in May' we'll be using the hashtag #15Kin May on Twitter to shout out any news or progress.

I plan to write every day except Sunday, they'll be a fair amount of rewriting, and reading, and filling in plot holes, in my case, and I'll need to do about 556 words every day, which sounds more manageable when you break it down like that doesn't it?

Regards the blog, I'll be posting twice a week this month - Sunday will be my usual goal list for the week ahead, and on Wednesday I'll update my '15K in May' progress, as well as anything else on my mind.

This plan will require a new determination, a lot of juggling and organising of my time, and real life continues as usual, but I'm ready to give it my very best shot. What about you? Are you up to write 15K in May?

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to Crazy Club, Maria! See you on the finish line with lots of motivational pit stops along the way.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will, once my feet touch the ground after this VERY busy week spent at the day job...feeling very tired, but enthusiastic!

      Delete
  2. It was pretty tiring the old A to Z wasn't it. Wow and now starting up a new challenge, crazy ;)

    Actually if you have a WIP then breaking it down like that does sound more manageable.

    Good luck with your challenge! Is it the WIP that involves that nasty Ziekiel? I enjoyed reading thatyesterday, looks to be a very promising read :) I will look forward to hearing about your progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, yes we are all totally crazy, people who don't write don't get it... ;-) It was however, a good lesson in discipline wasn't it?

      Ziekiel won't feature in this WIP, he is in my second novel, I'm working on my third for this project, because I think it stands a better chance of getting to a stage where I can submit it. That said, i am a total butterfly, and who knows, if its going well I may flutter across to that story.



      Delete
  3. It is a great idea. I write most every morning as it is. I suck at the tweet thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jai, I write late into the small hours, but I'm thinking of getting up at the ungodly hour of 5.30am and doing an hour before the day job madness! ;-)

      Means I'll probably be done for by 10pm though, and not sure i can cope with that...we'll see.

      Delete
  4. Really!
    Am I the only one not doing a BIG reveal? hmm.. Might need to do something about that.. Where's my sketch pad.. I'd say good luck but I'm competitive and I'm going to WIN.. tee hee.. what have you unleashed.. Really though.. good luck.. I know I'll need it! We need to explain that it's 15k of words from editing really, which is MUCH harder than just 15k.. just saying.. saying to many justs.. am I telling more than showing.. see what I mean..
    Here's to us! Think I need to drink on it! and start tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only drinking was an option...I have a sulphite allergy, so will have to make do with chocolate.

      Yes, agree editing is a different kettle of fish altogether, I personally find it far more difficult than first draft, however, I didn't realise that until I had completed one, and attempted to edit it!

      Good luck lady, you'll need it... ;-) I'm right behind you now.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, awesome sauce. Great idea. ^_^
    Would you mind terribly if I joined you? Not so much with a novel, but I have a ream of short stories and flash I want to get written and 500ish words a day is totally doable, even with things as they are at the moment. I'd love to be part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah, Climb aboard, the #15kinmay has left the station, and is rattling down the tracks at an alarming speed.


      Delete
  6. I'm attempting to write a novel in the next week - not as bad as it seems because it's based on my NaNo novel from last year, so technically I have 50k already I'm just rearranging them. I may come to regret it, but I've made a good start. Good luck with your goal.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!