_

Pages

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Looking After Number One

Looking After Number One - Maria A Smith

I'm back, and happy to report I'm feeling much better than I did a few days ago. How you might ask? Selfish as it sounds, I've been looking after number one. Yes - really, and it called for drastic action, as it was the only way I knew I could get myself back to good health. 

I simply retreated. Took a couple of days holiday from work, and went away to somewhere I knew I'd be nurtured... I stepped back, and instead of looking after everyone else, spent time getting myself back to good health. I've been doing too much, theres been too much going on all at once. 

I said in my last blog post I'd be making changes, and I am. Its pointless trying to implement lots of new things overnight, I'd just get overwhelmed, and end up more stressed and tired so I'll begin slowly. One of the first things I'm going to do is set myself some limits, and stick to them! Writing wise, this means doing the best I can in the window of time I have, and when the time is up, I'm done, I must finish up, and go to bed. I need to sleep. I know I need to make a conscious effort to rest - really rest. Should I  write daily? My gut feeling is not to do so, instead a better plan for me is to write, or do writerly things, every other day. 

I've made a list of the things I want to continue with, which include my current WIP, but also, I'd like to try my hand at non fiction too. Any suggestions on how to get started would be most welcome!

I enjoy going to my writing group, its lovely to be amongst like minded folk, its also an excellent opportunity to receive valuable feedback on my novel draft. You really do learn much from critiquing other writers work. However, over the summer, I'll be missing several weeks, because I've decided to do some other writerly things, like meeting up with twitter buddies, and hopefully attending one or two writerly events.

I'll blog a couple of times a week, and honestly that is as much as I can do on my writing. We'll see how it goes.

Now, you may, or may not be wondering how things panned out with the 15k in May challenge I took part in last month. Well, it was a challenge. I found it very difficult, primarily because I chose to edit my novel draft, and I didn't actually write very many words. Instead I chopped 10,400 words!

The thing is, on reflection, I've used the time well, I've got rid of words that did nothing useful, they didn't move the story forward, and some didn't make any sense at all, I'd over written, and repeated lots of information. Those words are gone now. I am left with a lot less, and its scary. Can I make this story work? I know I want to try, so we'll see.

Taking part in the challenge was a good thing, I made some new writing buddies along the way, and the online support on twitter, and other writers blogs was helpful and friendly. I think everyone achieved something, or learnt something useful along the way. I think you always do on these sorts of things.

Normal service will be resumed on Sunday, when I'll post up a list of new goals for the week ahead.
Until then, enjoy the rest of this week.

Feet Up - Maria A Smith

13 comments:

  1. Good for you! If you don't take care of #1, you can't take care of anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! I've come to a similar realisation over the last couple of weeks too. No-one can do everything, but if you don't look after yourself, you end up unable to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and sometimes you just lose sight of doing the right thing for yourself. I am going to retrain myself.

      Delete
  3. Well done for taking a step back and getting some perspective. I used to feel the pressure of trying to fit too much in too, but I've since learned it's quality, not quantity. And a rested, calm attitude will always produce better quality!

    Enjoy putting your feet up, Maria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a good rest, and will be back to writing and blogging soon, but I'll make sure I'm not over stretching myself.

      Delete
  4. Something is in the air! This & Beth's recent blog post which I have also just read, both spoke to me as I've been shifting and changing my life in small ways following some choices that needed to be made. Thanks for sharing and glad you had a wonderful time nurturing and restoring yourself sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's actually quite hard to think of yourself even if that's what needs to be done so good for you that you did.I hope you feel better and refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a couple of days I could do with. I used to spend time at a little place up near you with the most incredible head massages :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy memories by the sounds of it...

      Delete
  7. I recognise Ragdale Hall. I was there in June too. A really lovely place to be.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!