_

Pages

Sunday, 11 August 2013

Goal List Week Commencing 11th August 2013

Red Pen Editing - Maria A Smith

This week has been about editing - every spare minute I've had, which has mostly been late at night, or early in the morning, I've got stuck into the task. I had lots of constructive feedback last week at the critique group, and I'm making some changes. Printing each chapter onto paper, then going through it by hand with my red pen. Afterwards, I make corrections on the screen. This way seems to work better than trying to do it all on the screen.

The walking programme is going well, I'm up to five sessions a week now, I'm chuffed  I've got this far, and hope I can keep it up, as I'm really beginning to feel the benefits now. Although I thought it would help with my insomnia, and I'm somewhat surprised that it hasn't made any difference. Its been a bad week for sleep. I really must improve that situation.

Who have I met this week? - A writer who came to our Saturday session. I loved the first chapter of her novel. I hope I'll see her again.

What made me feel happy? - Getting out, and really looking around at the world outside my window.  Trees, shrubs, beautiful flowers, blue skies, happy smiling people!

What have I read? - Woman's Weekly, and Women's Walking Magazine.

What have I bought? - Buildings and Contents Insurance, ugh! Trawling around for the best deal is a necessary task I perform every year,  it wasn't too bad this time. I did it via the web, and backed it up by calling the company I chose to go with, to confirm everything. The young gentleman in the call centre was very good, and polite.

This week my goals will are,

Writing

  • Rewrite the edited chapter, and print out another chapter to work on this week.
  • Keep this blog up to date. 
  • A 200 word flash fiction piece to take to the Saturday group


Relaxation

Walking - I've got one of those apps on my phone to motivate me, it records distance, and pace etc, as well as storing the route, in case I want to do it again.

Cinema - Its been a while since I saw something on the big screen, and I'm looking forward to it.

How did you get on? And what have you got planned for the week ahead?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, I've also found printing it out helps a lot with editing! I'm seeing things that my eyes would've skipped over on a laptop screen.

    It's always a joy to read your weekly goals. Good luck with the ones for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, I'll be over to your blog in a bit to see what you are up to this week... :-)

      Delete
  2. I've just started printing out my work to make the first edit, too, Maria. But not chapter by chapter. It suits me better to rattle on to the 25K word point before printing, editing and transferring changes to computer.
    It's a great feeling to have that huge chunk of work under the belt before tackling the second half. Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better knowing I am not alone and there are many of us all re-writing, and sorting our work out in whatever way we can...

      Good luck with your edits!

      Delete
  3. Have a great week Maria. I too use the print and pen method for editing then type out the changes onscreen.

    The walking app sounds great - which one do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou,

      The App is called MAP my Walk and I only have the free version, which does the job for me. I like it, its a real motivator. Obviously it uses your data, but I generally do around 45 minutes. Do give it a go...

      Delete
  4. Those sound like good goals! I'm continuing to work on my novel and on putting an ebook together of my stories. I'm also working on my GoodReads Challenge of reading 100 books by the end of the year - so far, I'm in the mid-50s. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 100 books in a year is an awesome amount, I salute you for 50 so far! I am a very slow reader, however I am listening to lots of audio books and I'm really enjoying them.

      Hope you have a productive week. :-)

      Delete
  5. All the best of your goals, Maria, and thank you. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, lovely to see you here. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog! I'm following back. Your site looks great, and very motivational for writers!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!