_

Pages

Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Lets Stick Together


Lilies - Maria A Smith

Writers are a funny breed don't you think? We keep the strangest hours, often going to bed very late, or rising early to scribble down words conjured up from our imaginations We live inside our own heads working out scenes, often conversing with characters we've created on the page.  We look at people oddly, perhaps weighing them up for a part in our stories, and we walk around mumbling to ourselves while we work out scenes and plot.

Never mind if you have the most supportive spouse, or partner, there is no one quite like another writer to understand your frustrations when things aren't going right, when you want to chuck it all in, or to share your jubilation when success strikes. Having a fellow scribe for support, to bounce ideas off, and also to help when you find yourself stuck between chapters is priceless.

These days you have more chance of finding and hitting it off with someone thanks to the web, the internet has given us all opportunities to find like minded people passionate about the craft.  Twitter, Facebook and blogging are all ways of finding interesting people who understand what its like to be a writer.

I've been very lucky, and have gained much from the writers I've shared tweets with on Twitter, and have found them very supportive when I've asked questions on genre, plot, editing and much more besides.

I've been to, and organised 'tweet ups' which are specially arranged meetings for writers who use Twitter, on each occasion they have been valuable sessions and great fun too!  Networking is good, its not always what you know, but who you know that counts in this game. Many a writer has gained the name of a good editor, or an address of where to send their work through networking.

I'm not good on Facebook, I really must get my own page, but first I shall have to seek some writerly advice myself. Lots of people link all their social networking platforms together, that is something else I'll have to learn how to do, but for now, I'm happy with they way I communicate.

I love to hook up with other writers for coffee, or at a workshop, or conference, happy chatter over tea and cake is always a pleasure with writing news thrown in for good measure.

I feel privileged to be part of a critique group that meets weekly, not only does it keep me writing regularly, it allows me to get valuable feedback on my writing too. Everyone is very generous with their time and advice.

Of course I couldn't finish up without mentioning blogging now could I? Personally, I love to blog, I decided from the beginning I would humanise my blog, so I posted a picture of myself, wrote some words and launched it, with the hope, someone would read it, and hopefully interact with me by leaving a comment now and again. What can I say, its been journey, I've tried to infuse my writing, with personality, and voice. Those who know the 'real' me, say the blog 'voice' mirrors my own.

Visiting blogs, and having my own has brought me much closer to other writers, I'm part of a huge writing community, which spans the globe, and it feels good. If I can help anyone it feels good, I am passing on the baton, having been handed it myself by other writers who have freely offered advice and information. Its rare you meet anyone here who is precious, dig deep enough and you'll find an answer to your question, someone out there, has either done it, or knows someone who can help.

How do you interact with other writers? How has it helped you, and where did it lead?

13 comments:

  1. Nice post, Maria, that mirrors my own feelings about reaching out to and connecting with other writers.

    This year, in particular, has been a real leap forward for me - joining the critique group and meeting new people online too has really stoked my creative fires. Can't wait to see what the future holds. Hope to keep learning, improving and moving forward.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely looking forward to lots more writing adventures. It'll be amazing when you look back and recall what you have been up to during 2013.

      Delete
  2. It's through blogging that I've met so many wonderful writers - the blogosphere is full of them! I've also met some great writers at conferences and we've ended up as crit buddies. :)

    Stopping by on the A-Z Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline, lovely to see you here. Critique buddies are very special people. Hang on to them if you can... :-)

      Delete
  3. I go to a wonderful writers group - I love the internet but somehow it's only people who have known you for a while who can really tell you when something is rubbish and you nod and quietly agree without weeping or insisting they must be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,

    You have touched the core here. You are so right. Being part of a writers' group has enabled me to gain confidence in my own writing and meet new fellow scribes, who are equally passionate and self-conscious about their own work as I am. Sharing a room with others who are just as nervous when they read out their pieces gives you an understanding that we are not alone. Unified we must be, for we are all struggling in some way, even those most talented and closer to publication than ourselves. The writing road is thwarted by obstacles of all kinds, from all directions, often some unexpectedly close directions too. We need each other to understand ourselves.

    Equally, I have discovered that the web, in particular Twitter and my blog, has expanded my circle of writing friends. Here you can swiftly find like-minded writers at all stages of their chosen paths. I have been fortunate to have 'tweet-ups' with many of them too and this has cemented initial feelings that here I had found kindred spirits, true soul friends, with whom I can share my deepest concerns about my writing. I love where I am now with my writing, I love my writing and I love myself being a writer. This epiphany would either not have happened or could have taken much longer without access to both these gatherings of writers.

    Keep moving, keep writing and keep sharing. Writers unite!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,

      Wow! You are motivated, and so right, together we are stronger and I always think enthusiasm is infectious. Lets keep spreading it around!

      Delete
  5. I love this post Maria! I interact with other writers in person through social meet ups, via Twitter (where I met most of them) & in person with a writer that we critique & share our thought process as a regular sounding board, couple times a month.

    This is a wonderful post highlighting the nature of writers, as artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou, I share your love of Twitter for making new writing buddies!

      Delete
  6. although i am not part of a writers group--i have come to really appreciate this blogging community i am so privileged to interact with---great post maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more! Blogging has opened many doors, and led to lots of friendships for me too...

      Delete
  7. Hey, Maria. Great post.

    I'm a bit of a solitary writer, but I enjoy reading other writer's blogs. I do try to blog myself, but rarely find the time, micro-blogging (or twitter) is about my level. Would love, however, to join a writer's group, but there is nothing near me. (Or rather, nothing sane near me!)
    I'll just keep plugging away by myself, and when I look up, I'll have blogs like yours to prompt and encourage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment, 'nothing sane' I don't know ANY sane writers I don't think :-)
      Please keep coming back, and making me laugh...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!