_

Pages

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Thought For Wednesday - How Flexible Is Your Writing Schedule?

Photo Credit - Martin Nikolaj Christensen - Flicker Creative Commons

Do you set out your stall out to write at certain times on a particular day? Feel annoyed, and irritated if it doesn't happen? Don't  - you'll save yourself a lot heartache and stress. Its best not to feel guilty about missing a writing session if it was out of your control.

Be flexible, re plan, or if that isn't possible, relax, and focus on the next session you have planned. Sometimes  as writers, we need to stop and think about what we've achieved so far. Don't wreck your motivation, because you've missed one session. It won't help you get that book finished.

Don't overwork yourself, it really is counter productive, instead be gentle with yourself, if you're tired you won't write well, once your brain starts to feel fuzzy, or you feel your eyelids closing, its time to quit. Get some rest and recharge. If you don't, your motivation for working the next day will be poor, and you'll end up getting less done. Its much better to be flexible.

Do you have a set writing schedule? What do you do if you miss it?

10 comments:

  1. Excellent advice...I find it wearisome when writers constantly beat themselves up coz they haven't achieved X wordcount or Y hours. We have enough guilt and low self esteem already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to worry. I am much better now.

      Delete
  2. I try to be disciplined but life doesn't always allow it. But i feel better if I set aside some time and actually use it (which occasionally does happen).

    mood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in your camp, I initially plan, its good to plan, well...for me anyway. :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't have a schedule - I just grab the writing time when I can :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. No schedule for me either, especially in school holidays. Ideally I do 2 hours per day, in term time in the mornings when nobody else is around, in school holidays I try to work in the evenings but it's not always possible. I don't ever feel guilty about not writing, just frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! Louise, school holidays are tough...I hardly ever wrote, unless it was very late in the evenings. Not long now before they head back to the class room. :-)

      Delete
  5. Since Mr A has retired I don't have a schedule. Neither have I got much writing done!! Must address the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you have been enjoying yourself though... :-)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!