_

Pages

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Goal List Week Commencing 16th December 2013

Chatsworth Bauble - Maria A Smith

Last Sunday I visited Narnia, or more precisely, it was Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. The house has been brought to life by C.S. Lewis's story about the lion, the witch and the wardrobe, and a lot of thought, and hard work has gone into making the theme work for the enjoyment of adults and children alike. The lower floors have been transformed, decorated with snow, trees and sleighs.  It was amazingly busy, and my two friends and I queued on and off all day to visit all the house had to offer. I've delibrately not shown any pictures of what you can see once you've gone through the back of the wardrobe just in case you are due to visit Narnia yourself.

December in the Garden at Chatsworth - Maria A Smith

We drank tea, ate cake and meandered around the gardens before setting foot inside the house. The good thing about Chatsworth is that there is always something to see outside in the gardens. This time, my eye was caught by a beautiful glass sculpture.

Glass Sculpture at Chatsworth - Maria A Smith

Inside the interior was magnificent as always. I particularly liked the way they showed the house decorated for Christmas in a more traditional way too. The dining room looked fabulous, and you could almost imagine a feast taking place there.

The Dining Room Ready for Christmas at Chatsworth - Maria A Smith

We rounded our day off with a visit further along the road, to the farm shop, where we purchased lots of edible goodies, my own haul included handmade pork and apple burgers, a mammoth Victoria sponge cake, and a wheat loaf. Afterwards we enjoyed tea and cake in the tearoom admiring the view out of the window as the sun sank in the sky. A very enjoyable day was had by all...

My only goal is to make it through work days until the 24th, when I can take a few days rest from normality.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely day. Chatsworth- even without Narnia- has long been on my list of places I'd like to visit but still haven't managed it. will try to make it happen in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb pictures Maria. Chatsworth is a special place and the Christmas opening adds an extra dimension.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!