_

Pages

Sunday, 29 December 2013

Goals List Week Commencing 27th December 2013

Water Lilies - Rosemarie H Moore

Traditionally, this is the post where I like to reflect on past events of the year. Where to begin? Health wise, this year has been fraught with irritating things. Hopefully, sorted, and whatever isn't, I'm learning to adapt and live differently.

Work has been busy. Hamster on a wheel come to mind.

My writing life certainly hasn't been dull either, and I've been up to all sorts, working mostly on my novel, but also taking part in the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge  which was great fun! In May, I attempted 5KinMay, however, it proved too much on the back of the blogging challenge, and perhaps I should of done some fresh writing, instead of trying to edit my novel. Anyway, a fail for me. Not that I'm concerned now, because it is better to fail, than not to try at all, isn't it?

Novel editing has gone on and on, and there have been many times when I've felt like quitting, but I haven't. When insanity struck, and I thought I couldn't do it anymore, I turned to penning flash fiction which allowed me to escape for a short while, until the red veil lifted, and I returned to my desk with new found enthusiasm.

Competitions were entered, short stories, flash fiction, articles and letters were written and sent to judges, editors, and magazine pages. One of my articles was published in Chat Magazine, and a letter in Women's Walking Magazine. I also judged a writing competition. Assisted at a one day workshop for budding playwrights, and attended one or two classes and workshops on varied writerly topics myself.

Attended my writing group regularly, and enjoyed the company of other scribes around the table, I have many writer friends who are invaluable in many ways. When it comes to projects, I'm part of the Phoenix Subs Club, and I've enjoyed motivating others to reach their goals. I've also organised a group of writers, to produce a story each for an up and coming anthology. The year has been a blast!

This writers journey has been progressing at a slower pace than anticipated, but I haven't given up!

Other things I've done? Can you remember A Jar Full Of Happiness well, I've been filling my jar all year! I'll be emptying it very soon, and can tell you, I have lots of lovely memories of places I've been, people I've shared time with, and lots of things I've done over the last twelve months.

Its been a year of crazy happenings in the real world, I truly think its spinning faster, dont you? And now as 2013 draws to an end, I'm sitting here, pondering what I'll be doing in 2014?

I'd love to hear your review of 2013, and your hopes for next year? Do leave me a comment, I love hearing from you my friends.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,

    As I'm reading this I'm about to load a blog myself, looking back at the year. It's that time isn't it? We feel we've procrastinated so much and yet, when we look hard enough, we've usually done more than we set out to do. Writers are notorious for putting themselves down and I'm no exception!

    I know how you feel about 'losing the plot' with the WIP. Turning to alternatives like flash fiction is the right thing to do. It certainly gives my mind a welcome break, releasing inspiration I cannot inject into my WIP because characters and situations simply don't fit. I've penned 3 pieces with a combined word count of almost 50k that will never see the light of day. However, they were a great distraction and helped me return to editing.

    I'm glad your health is on the mend and love your idea for the jar of happiness. Let's make more happiness to add to your new jar in 2014!

    Elaine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, I am definitely going to fill another jar...Happy New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. You've packed a lot in Maria! Well done. I look forward to seeing what you do in the new year.

    For myself, there's been lots of personal achievements and I've kept to my promise at the start of 2013 to focus my life around self-care, family and writing. Anything that doesn't support some or all of those has been removed and I've been writing a lot more and feeling a lot healthier and happier, as a result. More of that in 2014, including lots of meet ups in person with lovely friends and fellow writers. See you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very focused...and yes, you will see me in 2014, Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. You have had a productive and successful year. I love the idea of a Jar full of Happiness, which I will adopt if that is OK. Bring on 2014; hope it's a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, its so worthwhile! Best wishes for a fabulous 2014!

      Delete
  4. Its a battle Maria and you've achieved a lot over the year. Sometimes we tend to sell ourselves short, or look at what we've done through rose tinted spectacles. Neither of these are the way forward, and you always play it straight down the middle and see things how they really are. That's a pretty good way to be when we're all dodging life's bullets and taking cover from the shellfire. The sun does come out more often than we think and you're good at taking a step back and seeing that. The Jar is a fine way of looking back over the previous 12 months. I wish you many good things for 2014 and look forward to some great writing. Ernest Hemingway said “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” He forgot the sweat and tears, but I wouldn't swap any of it for anything. Here's to a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Keith, I hope 2014 bring you good things. X

      Delete
  5. You are always so organised and what a lot you have done over the year. To be honest my mind goes a bit blank when I try to think over the year I think that comes with looking after toddlers. Have a lovely time at New Year and wishing you a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, the only way I recall anything is by recording it on my blog, that I'm either going to do it, or I've done it, or I haven't...then I just look back when I need to do my review. :-) Happy New Year!

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!