_

Pages

Sunday, 5 January 2014

Unbusy Your Life

Flicker Commons

Parts of the country are under water from severe flooding, and the forecasters are saying there is more on the way. The devastation is heaping more difficulties onto an already precarious situation, and my heart goes out to anyone who is affected. There is flooding nearby, but it is nothing in comparison to happenings elsewhere.

Work restarted on Thursday, the 'deadzone' as I call it, the time just after New Year, but before the country gets back to work proper. A gentle lowering into 'real life' the place where I go everyday, where everyday stuff kicks in to delight or annoy. None of it, is as exciting as the place I go to after hours. The joy of writing, is to be able to go somewhere outside of your 'normal life' a place of escape, somewhere deep inside your imagination.

A novel takes up a great amount of space in your head, and I'm about to go there. Today I'm jumping off that bridge again, I'm returning to the novel in progress, and its exciting, because things happen that could never happen in this reality. The story, its third draft, but I won't worry it'll be repetitive or boring, I'll build upon the foundations of what I already have, and I am in no doubt, more secrets will come out. More flesh will be put on the bones of my characters, and every word will have to count. I'll write everyday, and yes, I know some days it will only be a few hundred words, but for the next seven days, I'm keeping a log, so I can see my progress. My aim is to complete a chapter.

For my method to work, I need to 'unbusy' my life. My to-do list can't be trailing on the floor any more, and yes, I have a home, a family, work, home improvements, illness, car issues etc like all of you, but things must change if my new plan is to succeed.

This is the first step, and if busyness is forced upon me this week over which I have no control, I'll deal with it! But, I won't be throwing any extra responsibilities on the top of my already stacked pile. If you've been feeling the pressure, take a look at your commitments and responsibilities now. Its a good time to begin, its about accepting you have to let go of some stuff. Or some people.

Yes, that makes me feel uncomfortable too, but unfortunately, some people are time-sapping monsters, and being too busy has become a catch all excuse for me. This doesn't mean I won't be taking some time out to do nothing each day, I'm going to be practising 'doing nothing' too, because I know I'll feel less stressed, happier and healthier.

Have a good week, let me know what you plan to do?

14 comments:

  1. Like your idea, definitely need to pace myself! Less hours writing, Maria, and a set day for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carol, I will try very hard to make it work. Good luck to you with your plans too.

      Delete
  2. "Dolce far niente" - the sweetness of doing nothing! It is a worthwhile practise. I'm glad you are removing the busyness of life. There is always something that can be released in order to focus on our loved ones and the dreams that matter. I wish you well with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for those things I can release...hopefully, I'll be able to balance the important ones out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Maria, good luck with the novel writing. It is really like being in another world. For now, I'll be novel READING and I'm working on my blogs to keep them updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan, good to hear from you. Nothing wrong with novel reading, I'm into audio books, coz I can multi-task, whilst someone reads to me. :-) I love visiting your blog, Kuantan is a fabulous place judging by your pictures.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Maria and I'm hoping to achieve a similar balance in my life.

    I've recently dug out my turntable and have been indulging in listening to whole albums from start to finish whilst reading a book, or even just refreshing myself with the album artwork. Sounds trivial but it's been refreshing and is an example of what I need to do to unplug from everything to give myself a chance to think creatively.

    Can't wait to hear how you progress with the novel. Good luck!

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wayne, and what a great way to relax, listening to old albums. I keep toying with the idea of selling mine, and replacing them with downloads, to my iPod, then I think again, and I can't bring myself to do it! And you are quite right, music and relaxation does give you a chance to think creatively.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  5. I'm fortunate that my various commitments aren't terribly time consuming. That means I have no excuse not to write - so I'd better get on with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, off you go... ;-) get writing and enjoy your week, but don't forget to take a break! :-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind encouragement, Maria, much appreciated. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right. Un-busy-ing our lives should be top priority. I'm making it mine, right now. Much success with your writing! I know what you mean about the escape of writing--fantastic, isn't it, that we're able to forge our own realities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've managed to put off things that aren't as urgent as I once thought, and I've also multi-tasked a couple of jobs. A bit of tweaking here and there has freed up some time, and I am using it to relax.
      Good luck to you, I hope you manage to unbusy a few of your days this week.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!