_

Pages

Wednesday, 5 March 2014

40 Days Plus Some More

Tulips - Maria A Smith


Today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent, ending on Holy Saturday (April 19th) its the time of year when Christians remember 40 days and nights Jesus spent alone in the desert without food, being tempted by the devil. Traditionally, Christians everywhere, give something up, or introduce something that will improve theirs or someone else's life. Okay, that is the RE lesson for today concluded.  I've decided I'm going to live a more healthier lifestyle.

I don't want to get bogged down by making this too complicated, so my main goal is to  walk every day. I'll also cut down on sugary snacks, and limit unhealthy food options as much as I can. I'll let you know how I get on. Now my Lent promise is out of the way, its time to talk about the writing.

What are you working on?

I've been entering competitions, re-writing chapters of my novel, critiquing stories for a few of my  writing buddies, and generally enjoying my writing more. Try as I might though, I still can't focus on one thing alone, and its time to accept the writer that I am. Instead of beating myself up because I'm flitting from one thing to another.

I'm interested in lots of things. I want to write flash fiction, and short stories, and my novel, and articles too. Running workshops is fun, as is networking, and helping other writers along on their own journey is inspiring and up lifting. Its a cliche, but spice is very much the variety of life, I get restless if I am stuck on one project for too long. I need to break it up with other stuff.

So to coincide with Lent, I'm not putting myself under any restrictions, I shall write whatever I want, whenever I want, and do all manner of writerly stuff too! Lets see how I get on.

Are you doing anything for Lent?


10 comments:

  1. Not doing anything for lent but I think that 'accept the writer that I am' is a brilliant motto - will use it! I have finally accepted that try as I might, I am not and probably never will be a planner. I've sold many stories, none of which have been planned, and a serial that went off plan two instalments ago - so why not just accept that if I ever get round to starting the novel, it will probably be written the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy welcome to the panster's club, we are so alike. I don't plan anything if I can help it, and my best stuff is almost always written on the hoof. I have tried planning and it doesn't work for me.

    It sounds as if your way, works for you. I wish you success with many more story sales. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think i have done anything ever or giving anything up for lent ever---hmmm maybe i should try it---i am a big planner but as far as writing i am with you--it just hits me---so glad you stopped by today :)












    0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn,
      Lovely to hear from you again.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a great idea - writing what you want when you want! I'm not giving up anything for Lent x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa, I feel much more relaxed about things since I made the decision.

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to get healthier so lent is as good a time as any to be serious! Don't worry about your flitting tendencies in writing, Maria - I've always been a butterfly type of writer and have been published in short stories, articles, poetry, children's and now novels. Wouldn't have it any other way as I don't think I could concentrate too long on any one type of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary, its good to hear there are a few of us around then. I feel guilty about the healthy eating today as I have just woofed down a bag of Galaxy Minstrels! Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Good luck with your healthy plans.

      Delete
  6. We've all got our writing foibles. If yours is to work on a variety of things, you can't fight it, otherwise you'll just feel stiffled.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!