_

Pages

Sunday, 25 May 2014

Goal List Week Commencing 25th May 2014

I'm A Writer - Maria A Smith

I've neglected coming here on a Sunday and reporting my progress, my achievements, my failures, and my future goals. The truth is, I've not felt like it - the best way to describe it, is to say, I've had one of those months.  Injuring my ankle has incapacitated me in more ways than one. Apart from being immobile, I've lost my writing mojo!

Hard to believe because prior to the fall, literally seconds before, I'd been thinking how well things were going where writing was concerned. It goes to show, how quickly things can alter. I'll tell it how it is - things have  been grim. I blamed the heavy duty pain killers in the first instance, because I simply couldn't think straight, let alone string words together. However, I've been off them for a week now, and I'm making good progress walking again, so why hasn't my mojo returned?

I'm behind with my deadlines. Its frustrating, yet I've allowed my mind some fallow time, but inspiration hasn't hit,  ideas aren't coming and I cannot face the novel re-write in this state. So what is to be done fellow scribes?

I've put an action plan together. Given myself the talking to, so if your mojo has gone awry too, or if you feel you're lacking in energy, these tips might just be the boost you need to get going again.

1. Exercise - Get moving, because we all know movement gets blood circulating to every cell, including the brain.  And it seems anything is better than nothing, so short walks down the garden path, or around the block count. Perhaps not quite the same as cycling ten miles or running to work and back, but its still movement. Take regular breaks, get up from your desk and walk around, stretch and maybe step outside and take a few deep breaths.  Now that I'm off the crutches, I'll be taking it steady, starting with a short daily walk, what will you be doing?

2.  Start Drinking! - Consider having a glass of water for each cup of caffeinated beverage you knock back. Caffeine dehydrates and pulls water from your cells, and our bodies need to stay hydrated. Drinking water energises us, relieving fatigue, as well as flushing out toxins. I've fallen off the wagon with this one, yet its so easy to do. I'll be going back to having a bottle at my side as of this week.

3. Shut Your Eyes - Now I like the idea of the power nap, but the reality of it is a bit far fetched I think you'll agree. For a start you have to make the time to have this ten to fifteen minutes, which I don't doubt will be a good thing if you can find a quiet corner to drop off undisturbed.  I'm not keen on setting an alarm either, I'd feel grumpy, and short changed when I had to get up and go back to work. A better idea is to make sure you're getting as much sleep as you need. We're all different, I was getting up an hour earlier to write, but some nights I wasn't going to bed an hour earlier to repay the time. Thats no good for me, I need at least seven hours to function well, otherwise I feel jaded and out of sorts all day. So look into your sleeping habits, and retrain yourself. I've done it once, and will be doing it again this week.

4. Fuel - I've been eating a lot of crap! It is making me unhappy, and I need to stop, and find some healthier alternatives that I'll not only enjoy eating, but hopefully will help me lose the 6 lbs I've gained with all the recent inactivity. I know what I should be eating. Eating junk food makes us sluggish, I don't need to write you a list, you know what I'm talking about here. My blood sugar keeps plummeting because I'm not eating well, so chocolate and crisps will have to be replaced with healthier alternatives. This one will take me a while to master. When hunger hits, I'm my own worst enemy, so I need ideas for healthy snacks?

5. Mindfulness - Or meditation. What! I hear you cry, and move back from your screen in haste. Now hang on, give it a chance. Mindfulness is simply taking time out of our busy lives to take notice of our surroundings, a sort of meditation. It doesn't take very long to learn, and is mainly about taking deep breaths, and being more mindful about your surroundings. I have found it very useful when life is hectic. Do try it, there is much written on the subject if you google it.

Right, I'm off to fill my water bottle, and plan my diary. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

19 comments:

  1. Maria, I'm glad you are on the mend, as I always enjoy reading your posts, wether good or bad, happy or sad. Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay,
      Thank you, its been a really weird time for me. I'm desperate to get back to writing every day, even if its only a handful of words. Its going to be slow I think... :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Maria,

    A list is a good start! I did my knee in a few years back and there's nothing worse than being immobile and on strong painkillers. The brain cells become even more slugglish than the body. It does take a long time to find the mojo again, but you are certainly going the right way about it. Over-indulging on caffeine, sugar and processed foods indulge our emotional needs when we are feeling sorry for ourselves. They don't do us any favours though. I've recently removed all three of these evils, buying decaf drinks and NOT buying biscuits/cakes/crisps/chocolate. Instead, I make my own 'goodies' now and then, where I can regulate the sugar quantities by adding fruit or vanilla essence to sweeten things. We're back to cooking meals from scratch and eating a low-meat diet. Your blog has reminded me, however, that I need to meditate more often. I do allow my mind to wander when I take the dog for a walk, breathing in the sky and trees and the love of my silent, four-legged companion! It does take time for the mojo to return, but rest assured it does. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, I weaned myself off caffeine last year as you know, but every now and again I do sneak a cup of Costa in, probably once every few months if that...Regards the crappy snacking, I'm doing my shopping this evening via the internet and there will be no sugary goodies.

      The family don't like it, so I will always buy them a cake I dislike, so I'm not tempted. Regards cooking, I'm a scratch cook myself, I like to know exactly what I'm eating. :-) Its a case of re-educating myself again. Too many bags of fish and chips, and pizzas as it seems I am the only one who can cook in this house.

      I don't have a dog as it wouldn't be fair to keep one as we all work fairly long hours, its an excellent form of exercise though if you have got one that likes his walkies! Thank you for sharing Elaine. Have a good week.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Sometimes I'm feeling upbeat and then something minor brings me right down. Last time it was when the lock on the boot of my car stuck. Yes, nothing to get depressed about you may say, but I actually had to reprimand myself and remind myself that no-one died, it's repairable, it's only money. So your fall brought you down, literally, and your mojo will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, and I think these things are here to try us, test us as it were. I'm having a bit of a mixed week here. Hope your week is progressing well.

      Delete
  4. The glass of water is such a good idea. I have frozen lemon and lime slices to drop in with some ice cubes which makes it extra refreshing and I must admit I've fallen off the wagon lately with this too, so you have reminded me to drink more!
    Hope your mojo returns soon :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, I love that idea, I'm off to the shops later to buy lemons and limes...
      The water thing is going okay so far, but could be better, so I'll fill up my glass now. Have a good week.

      Delete
  5. Some very good tips here, Maria. It is so horrible when all your ideas fly away but they will come back, honestly they will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, I'm on my way now I think...

      Delete
  6. Very good tips. It's always good to go back to the basics of eating, drinking, and sleeping. That often solves most of your problems!

    I have periods of no sugar. It really helps me focus. But I can't do it full-time, because I just love baking too much! Mostly, I just try to refrain from sugary stuff when I'm doing mental/brain work (such as writing). If I start eating sugar when writing, I will need to keep on eating it to keep my focus. And that doesn't always end well ;)

    Hope you are doing better with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corianne, Yep, sugar is a problem, I'm very fond of cake too. But trying to cut back, although its not coming easy to be honest. I am writing more now, but feel so very tired. I am falling asleep by mid afternoon, which isn't good.

      Have actually managed a power nap at around 5pm on a couple of occasions in thelast week or so and that seems to give me a second wind to get on.
      Hope your writing is progressing well.

      Delete
  7. Hi Maria

    So glad you're feeling better and pleased to see you're still blogging. Did you see my tweet-invite to be the next writer to post 5 facts about your latest protagonist? I've put mine up, so take a peep at my blog and you'll know what I mean.

    Ange xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ange, nice to see you here. I'm afraid I haven't checked in for a while due to unexpected happening, so you'll have to forgive me but I won't be taking up the baton on this occasion. I've read your blog though...very interesting! I love the picture too.

      Delete
  8. I somehow lost your blog but have found you again. You write from the heart and your mojo will return. None of us can be on top form all the time, and we don't want to hear about those who are because they cant be human. The best thing about your blog is that you take the time to reply, which shows what a caring person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maggie, how wonderful to hear from you...thank you for your kind comments, I've been neglecting the blog, my good intentions to get back on track were foiled by a few unexpected issues. Life can be like that sometimes. I refuse to be beaten though, and will be picking myself up, brushing myself down and starting over...

      I hope you'll visit again soon.

      Delete
    2. So good to hear from you and hope you are feeling better soon. An accident can change everything. Ten weeks ago I broke my femur while mowing the lawn. So I can sympathise. I'm only beginning to feel normal again now, so keep smiling.

      Delete
    3. Oh Maggie! How very awful for you...I can identify with you. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm in the pool a lot, not swimming (too painful) exercising, and its amazing how it has lifted my spirits and helped my ankle to recover.

      Delete
  9. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems ass though you relied on the video to make your point.

    Youu definitely know what youre talking about, why throw aeay your intelliigence on just
    posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?



    My weblog :: Hair Loss Tips

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!