_

Pages

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Goal List - Week Commencing 11th January 2015

Image Credit

Does anything go to plan? This last week has been difficult, and I'll try and choose my words carefully to sum it up because worrying and complaining changes nothing. I did not return to work last week, the sciatica has worsened considerably, and on doctors orders I must take time out, and continue with the painkiller cocktail, which is mostly ineffective, and wait until its my turn to see a physiotherapist. I hobbled out of his office, clutching a 'fit note' saying I wasn't fit to work, a prescription, and a A4 sheet of back exercises to do in the meantime. Happy days.

In desperation, and not being able to find a witch doctor (believe me, if I could of found one, I'd of tried one), I had my first introduction to an osteopath on Friday afternoon. after a quick assessment of my spine, he advised he thinks he can help, but there is of course no guarantee and there will be discomfort and pain. I signed up immediately, and the torture commenced. Two days on, I feel rough.

What is it they say: 'Every little struggle is a step forward.' So no more complaining...

How did I do with my goal list then.


I didn't do any walking round the block, but someone gave me a lift to the pool, and although I was under orders not to swim, I managed to walk up and down in the water, and it was nice to have a change of scenery too. Afterwards, I had tea with a lady I'd met there previously, and we chatted until my lift arrived. Catherine and I get on well, and it reminded me that one of my goals this year is to spend more time with friends.

Writing wise, I did the 200 word challenge for the group session on Saturday, but unfortunately I was unable to go. I missed my writing buddies. I also wrote this blog post, and I have been beta reading a novel for a fellow writer I have never met in the flesh but we are friends through a writing forum.

I started listening to the audio book, LISTEN to the Moon by Micheal Morpurgo, and I'm very much enjoying it.

Oddly without trying, I am losing weight.

The week ahead then,

So I've lost stability and comfort for a while with my goals, but I'm determined to keep a good attitude. This week I'll strive to achieve the following:

Health

I'll be delighted if I can walk to the bottom of the road and back, and get to the pool at least once. I'm mindful of trying to eat healthily, and will make a list of meals for the week, and try hard to stick to the list!

Writing and Reading

When I hear what the writers group challenge is, I shall attempt it. I'll also read Writing Magazine for inspiration and details of up and coming competitions. And I'll continue to beta read my friends novel, and listen to my audio book too.

I shall not let the shadows of the past, darken my future folks, last week is over, so heres to a productive week. Did you achieve your goals last week, or have you too been derailed?

12 comments:

  1. You are trying your best - can't do more than that, so well done. Hope the pain eases soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that sounds like a bad week! Hope you do feel better starting with the osteopath & you can get back to walking again.

    As you know, I finished my story :) so I did meet my goal for the week. And now on with my new project - the goal is to (1) flesh out the characters of the current story (2) rewrite the story that it fits the characters' backstories and my latest additions through worldbuilding. (And beta reading the novel of course ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! It's great getting stuck into a new project too, do let me know how it goes...good luck!

      Delete
  3. I do hope things ease for you, Maria - it must be difficult when you have so much you want to do. At least you're doing what you can. It's good you can interact online too, if you're not able to get out so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating Rosemary, but you are right, interacting with others does help, how lucky we are these days, and definitely something to be grateful for too.

      Delete
  4. Hope you've had a better week Maria, and best of luck with your goals in 2015. I agree with Rosemary that it's great to have the online community, especially as a writer. It's like having an extra set of friends inside your computer/phone who you can talk to at any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Anita, I've made so many friends online, and even met some of them in the flesh!

      Delete
  5. Oh I do feel for you, Maria - it is such a painful thing. Hopefully the osteopath will help and sometimes things do seem to get worse before they get better. Last time I said a chiropractor worked miracles on my husband, but my son who was in so much pain with the same thing saw a physiotherapist who set him on the path to recovery.
    Stay positive xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, the osteopath has made a big difference, and has really helped me.

      Delete
  6. Oh how horrible to have such pain. I hope the osteopath gives you relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne, I am starting to feel some relief now.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!