_

Pages

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Goal List - Week Commencing 25th January 2015

Image Credit - Denise Krebbs
The image above is very apt for the week I've had...

Health wise, I didn't achieve my goal, I still can't sit up, its been frustrating, but I am now an expert at balancing my laptop on bent knees whilst lying on my back!

Writing and reading wise, I've almost finished the audio book, I would have finished it if I hadn't of immersed myself in Beta reading a novel. All done now, its been a good experience for me, and I hope I've been able to help the writer with my feedback.

Did I write 500 new words? In honesty I've felt too unwell to concentrate on my rewrite, but I did a short piece of writing instead which I enjoyed writing. And what about finding two outlets for my work? Nope, that didn't happen either. I feel bad about that because I did spend quite a lot of time looking through Writing Magazine, and on the web.

Truthfully, nothing caught my eye, and I'm getting disillusioned by the amount of competitions that are not following their own rules! And its not just the smaller ones either.

So many of them are shifting the goal posts, is it just me, or are you finding organisers are changing their closing dates? Pushing them further back at the last minute. Its so annoying, they don't give a reason, but I suspect its because they haven't had many entries. Well I'm sorry, but this is very unfair to the writer who has adhered to the rules, and got their entry in before the closing date, not to mention that they have sent the entry fee. It shouldn't happen, in my mind if they only get three entries, its tough! They should pick their winner from the three entries that have abided by their rules. And, they should not be running competitions if they haven't got the prize money before they start.

All said, I know there are many 'good' competitions out there, with organisers who are passionate about the craft, and other writers, but there are definitely some bad boys and girls stalking the web too. I think they want naming and shaming, so that they don't dupe other unsuspecting writers.

My way of dealing with the 'date changers' is to never enter their competition again. Right, I'll jump off my soap box now, and let you know what I'm going to do this week.

Writing wise, I'm going to do another short piece because it suits me, I can cope with it, and have a bit of fun. I'm also going to finish reading Writing Magazine, and I will finish the audio book this week.

Health wise, I'm working on sitting up.

How was your week?

14 comments:

  1. Please don't beat yourself up about not achieving your self-imposed writing target. It's something I had said to me, and it is very good advice. You'll write more when you feel like it - don't force it when you don't. As for the competitions with moving deadlines, I absolutely agree. If they don't get enough entries then tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thats good advice, I'll take it thank you. I'm learning to deal with the frustration, and anyway, plans are always changing with writing. We all have obstacles out in our way, we just have to find another way around. Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. Darn. I was really rooting for you there, so sorry you didn't manage the sitting up goal. Then again, that's a super handy skill - the balancing laptop thing. I still can't do it (even with the kids) though I did crack the whole open-a-screw-top-bottle-with-just-the-fingertips-on-one-hand trick when they were very little.

    As to the writing, you'll have better weeks. They'll come. In the meantime, you did do a short piece and given what you're going through that's nothing to be sniffed it. And beta reading is no small thing either. Something at novel length is really hard work, so personally, I think you should be proper proud of that one. Aaaah... alliteration. Love it!

    Anyway... can I join you on that soap box? How irritating! Ugh, changing comp closing dates. -_- Personally, I've never come across it, but my response would be the same as yours. Why on earth would you organise a competition with prize money if you weren't sure that you had it! That's shocking and doesn't speak very well of them as organisers. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the beta reading was a mammoth project, I read it through three times! Then critiqued it. I really enjoyed it, and I was able to do huge chunks because I'm off work. I'm a very slow reader so it might have taken me much longer under normal circumstances.

      Regarding sitting up, I'll keep trying... :-)

      Delete
  3. You're managing to write something and that is a plus. Some weeks are more productive than others even if you're fighting fit and worrying about word counts isn't going to help. At least that's what I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that your back is out, and you can't even sit in an upright position. It's remarkable that you're still able to write through your pain. I hope you feel better soon, Maria!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I write in fits and starts...

      Delete
  5. Changing the closing date (or anything else) after the competition is up and running annoys me. As you say, extending it is probably because they've not had many entries, but it's not fair on those who got theirs in on time - they may have had to rush in order to do so and of course they'll then have to wait longer for the result and have that piece tied up after they'd expected to be able to use it elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is an issue, and I agree, nothing should be changed after its been announced.

      Delete
  6. Hi Maria,

    Here goes and I shall beg my computer not to freeze up on me while I attempt to type this....................................

    Oops and I'm now back :) I can certainly understand that writing competitions can be a right pain in the butt when it comes to scheduling or organising, for that matter. Personally, I never enter competitions because it would be unfair to the rest, I state modestly.

    I hope your back gets better real soon. Not much fun trying to type like that. I like that you write when it suits you. That's much more natural without any undue pressure placed upon your good self.

    All the best,

    Gary..........................

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you need more rest,even typing must be putting a strain on your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mostly took it easy this last week Anne... :-)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!