_

Pages

Sunday, 4 January 2015

Goal List - Week Commencing 4th January 2015

Woman At Work - Image Credit              

We're only a few days into the new year, so not too much to report, as I've been trying to make the most of the last few days of my holiday. The country fires up tomorrow and most of us will be back at the grindstone. However, I want to start as I mean to go on. Sunday is when I'll post my goal list for the week ahead, and I'll give you a review of the previous week too. So here we go, my mini review since January 1st...

Health

The best laid plans etc - unfortunately, my sciatica is very painful at the moment, I'm struggling to walk, BUT, I refuse to allow it to beat me! So, under doctors orders, I regret I'm having to pop very strong pain killers, and take it easy. I say regret, because I do not like taking medication, preferring to take a more holistic approach. Shiatsu has been good when I have had previous bouts before, but I haven't been able to get to see my practitioner over the Christmas break, I'll be rectifying that as soon as possible.

Drinking more water is something I want to get into again, as I always feel a lot more alert, I've started and can already feel the benefits, I'm less hungry too, but that might be because I'm moving less.

Home

This afternoon, I sat with a big tray of paperwork that was long overdue for a sort out. Most went into shredder and then the recycle bin. I'm not good at filing stuff, shuffling paperwork is a weakness I seem to struggle with most of the time. I can't believe how much stuff comes through the door, and I do try and recycle it straight into the bin, but you know how it is, there is always something you think, I'll hang onto that, just in case...

I have a writing space! Yes, at last I have my own study, and its lovely. Decorated a few months ago  I've finally got a new desk and chair, and although there is still a wee bit of stuff in there that doesn't belong, its looking good. Its my space, and I'm enjoying putting my mark on it. I've already loaded one bookcase, and have another to go into the room, but I'll be clearing out a lot too. All going to good causes, via a friend who does a lot of charity work, and will be grateful to have them.

Writing

Saturday heralded the first Phoenix Writers meeting of the new year, and that was really good. Mingling with lots of positive folk who love writing is food for the soul. Our Chair set us a mini challenge of 150 words, and we had fun reading out our efforts. Then we went straight into manuscript critiques. All very different and interesting, and everyone got lots of useful feedback to take away and ponder too. I did the challenge, on the hoof, with about forty minutes to spare, but hadn't got anything ready to read this time. I was pleased to go along, although I spent most of the two hours standing due to back pain.

Reading

Starting a new book tomorrow, LISTEN to the MOON, by Michael Morpurgo, I haven't read any of his before so I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of you will know, he wrote WarHorse, Private Peaceful, as well as many other children's books.


The week ahead then...

Gently does it, will be the theme I think...

A walk round the block, and possibly a trip to the swimming pool for a bit of water therapy. Walking up and down, no swimming though, they have a very nice jacuzzi which will be wonderful.

Writing wise, there is a new group challenge that needs to be ready on Saturday morning, and I want to write another 500 words of my novel. Small steps, hopefully in the right direction. I'll also define my writing goals a little bit more.

Heres hoping you all have a productive week - do let me know how your writing is going, or anything else for that matter. Its good to stay in touch...I look forward to hearing from you.

18 comments:

  1. I've slacked off a bit the past two weeks, but I've devised a new schedule for myself that is more based on doing one thing at a time and to have less 'transitional moments' throughout the day. I'm not very good at multitasking or doing many different projects in a day. So I aim to have free days, at least one but ideally two a week, where I do nothing all day except writing. I've done it before, and I'm very productive during those days. The 15 minutes a day approach just doesn't work for me (at this time of my life, might be different other moments).

    Good luck with your goals and hope you feel less pain soon! I also dislike taking medication - only do it when I feel really really bad or am in a lot of pain. Often the best medication is lots of rest, lots of water, lots of good food, and going outside for fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed the best medicine.
      Good luck with your projects this year Corianne.

      Delete
  2. I don't know why I haven't seen your blog for a while, Maria, but I've rectified that now! Sorry to hear about your pain and I'm glad to hear you have a writing space. Wishing you much health, happiness and success this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I didn't blog very much last year due to health...hopefully this year will be different and I'll be able to keep the momentum.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your goals! And it's wonderful you have your own writing space now. I must keep reminding myself that I need to take things in small steps lest I feel overwhelmed. Here's to a great 2015 for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its great to have my own space, I've been waiting a long time, and I'm looking forward to working in there...At the moment, I'm lying on the settee using my laptop as its more comfortable on my back.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year and best wishes with your goals. 2014 was such a challenge but this year is already shaping up for countless opportunities. Just gotta take a deep breath and roll those dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen, good luck with your goals!

      Delete
  5. Sciatica is such a debilitating and painful thing to live with. I hope you can get some relief soon. When my husband saw a chiropractor about his sciatica and slipped disc after tons of painkillers from the doctor, she promised to get him off the painkillers within six weeks - and she did! I hope you can see your Shiatsu practitioner soon! I think sometimes the holistic approach is best xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Teresa, I am a big believer in the holistic way...

      Delete
  6. Hope all your goals work out well - I have sympathy with your sciatica having had a bout (which doesn't sound as bad as yours but was still horrid.) Good luck with the writing in your new writing space - here's to a productive 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture, Maria. It's aces. All your goals are great and it looks like you've made a really good start to the year. I love the sound of your study too. I hope you get it just how you want it and that it serves you well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your goals, Maria. I always enjoy reading posts about goals as it keeps me motivated to keep on track with mine! I think it's important to have a nice space for writing and I also find it inspiring sharing work and just spending time with other writers. I hope your pain dies down and you have a healthy, productive 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, keeping motivated is the key to getting things done - that and good friends who you can share writerly matters with over a brew. :-)

      Delete
  9. Small gentle steps, as long as they're in the right direction, will get you where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!