_

Pages

Sunday, 15 February 2015

Goal List - Week Commencing 15th February 2015

Image Credit - Pixabay

Last week was odd, it passed in a blink and I'm not sure what I achieved. Ever had one of those weeks? Nothing bad happened, I even had a birthday, hence the cake above. Another year older, and hopefully wiser. Just a few irritations, as sometimes happen. So how did I do? I started a new audio book, Crash & Burn by Lisa Gardner, lots of suspense and mystery so far. I'm really enjoying reading this year.

I met my writing challenge, you may recall I had to write about a 'punishment to fit the crime' well in the end, I did a factual piece about a dreadful writers workshop I went to in December last year. Unfortunately, the tutor was ill prepared, swore a lot, had no idea what he was doing and made himself look a complete idiot much to the shock of the participants. After an hour and a half I walked out, along with several other writers. The event had been organised by a professional organisation, and it was a  shock that they hadn't vetted the tutor. Anyway, I wrote and complained, and eventually received a response to say that the person who would deal with my complaint had gone on leave, and would sort things out upon their return in the new year. Nothing has happened since. I'm spitting feathers, and have asked for an explanation and a refund or at the very least some recompense. As I said there has been no response, and the darker side of me thinks I should name and shame, and should of used my Twitter account at the time to air my views, or I should of blogged about it. However, good manners and sensibility  prevented me from lowering myself to their standard.

I shall continue to pursue matters. In the meantime, I wrote all about it, yet couldn't decide a punishment to fit the crime, bar never going to another one of their workshops or events again. But it helped me to let off steam, and realise that there are organisation out there who like to sweep things under the carpet. Of course it won't be going anywhere, but has given me an idea for an article on 'How Not To Do A Workshop' so at least something positive has come out of it, and if I ever get it published, perhaps said writing tutor, and organisation may recognise themselves and hang their heads in shame! Or at the very least, vet their tutors.

I blogged twice last week, and took part in another wild hour of #writingchat on Twitter, where lots of other writerly folk shared an hour on talking about the craft.

The week ahead looks like this...

Writing - Two more blog posts, and decide if I'm going to do the Blogging From A to Z Challenge 2015  apart from that, I'll take part in #writingchat on Wednesday 18th February at 8pm UK time. Do join me.

I'm not pushing myself hard this week, I've succumbed to the latest cold virus going around, and I'm feeling tired and jaded. I've got an physiotherapy consultation at last! As well as a session at the osteopath. Oh the joy!

Have a good week.

9 comments:

  1. What a week, Maria! I do hope you had a lovely birthday and that you're feeling much better by now. That sounds the most awful tutor I've ever heard of and he should be fired, and you should be compensated! I do lot of talks/workshops for writers and when I think of the work I put into it, it angers me too. Good luck with pursuing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nightmare!! I do hope that you hear soon from your complaint and I look forward to reading your 'How not to do a Workshop' article :) I'm lucky not to have had the misfortune but I have shared some amazing workshop experiences. My best yet was a residential 'Wanna Be a Writer' workshop at the fabulous Chez Castillon in France. I met some of the most wonderful writers - established and newbies - and am saving to return as soon as possible. Wishing you another successful week, Maria and hope that cold virus makes a hasty exit. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, I've also had the good fortune to attend some very good workshops too...

      Delete
  3. Oh that workshop must have been awful. I wonder how someone can give a workshop if they don't know what they're doing. I hope you eventually get answers,don't give up because that's what their couinting on, and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you're so right, I'm not giving up!

      Delete
  4. It's inspiring to see you keeping track of your goals, meeting them, crossing them off, and making more! I need to do better at being accountable for my own goals. Thanks, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a great birthday and it sounds as if there were a lot if positive achievements last week even if the week flashed by. Good luck with this week's goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that workshop sounds awful! I've been to quite a few, some better than others, but I've never been to one I'd have even considered leaving before it was over.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!