_

Pages

Sunday, 1 February 2015

Goal List - Week Commencing 1st February 2015

Take a Breath - Maria A Smith

I'm happy to report I actually achieved ALL of the goals I set myself last week! Honestly, I'm shocked, but its true, and I managed to do a little extra too.

I've written a short non-fiction piece, and finished the audio book Listen to the Moon by Michael Morpurgo which I thoroughly enjoyed. A World War 1 story with a difference, it tells the tale of a young girl found injured, and unable to speak, on an isolated island in the Scillies. Worth a read. I also finished reading last months Writing Magazine too.

My biggest and best achievment of the week is being able to sit up. I'm so happy, and feel like Ive turned a corner at last. The osteopath is pleased with my progress, and although I'm a bit battered and bruised from my last session, I'm definitely happier!

As its the beginning of February, I need to do a quick review of the goals I set for the year. To be honest I thought this was going to look pathetic given the start I've had, however, I'm really pleased, as I've already made some headway. So far, I've done the following:

Health
Lose weight - a stone  by December 31st 2015 - I've lost 10lbs! 

Home Life
De-clutter  - Get rid of something every week during 2015 - Yep, I've managed to do this too. 

Writing
Produce a goal list weekly - Done.
Blog regularly, at least once a week - Done.

Reading 
Listen to fifteen audio books by December 31st 2015 - One down, fourteen to go. 

Some things haven't got off the ground because I'm not mobile, and some haven't because I need to set some definite targets to reach the end goal. For instance the novel re-write. I'll be breaking it down into smaller steps, which will enable me to go forward without it looking like a mammoth task.

I'm going into February with enthusiasm, and have set these goals for the week ahead.

Reading and Writing
Start a new book - On the recommendation of a friend, I'll be listening to The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins. I'll also be reading Photography for Writers By Simon Whaley and I'll be dipping into Structuring Your Novel by K.M. Weiland

On the writing front, I'm going to spend time fleshing out my main character, I'll attempt a monologue, or I may do an interview which has worked well for me in the past. Apart from that, I plan only to do my Sunday writing session which will be a short challenge piece on a theme, yet to be set.

Health
Rest and Recover will be my mantra, therefore I'll continue to try and better my steps around the house, and weather permitting, I may get out in the garden for a walk.

One final thing, if you're on Twitter, perhaps you'd like to join Patsy Collins  and I on Wednesday 4th February at 8pm, where we'll be tweeting about writerly things for an hour. We'll be using the hashtag  #writingchat We've decided to do this because we're both fed up with the lack of 'real' people on Twitter which seems to have become a wasteland of bots auto-tweeting. Its experimental and we don't know if it'll work or not, but we're out to prove there is more to tweeting than shameless promotion, and that there are still some writers willing to interact with each other.
Find us here @mariaAsmith and @PatsyCollins

I hope your week is productive, do leave a comment and let me know how you got on?

9 comments:

  1. Poor you! Sciatica is so miserable but it WILL get better and if nothing else gives you lots of thinking time which is something to be treasured. Glad you're on top of your goals and will try to join you and Patsy on 4th Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, it will eventually, but I've never had a bout like this before, its been scary to say the least. I have been thinking about lots of things recently, I've had the time, although concentration has been off due to the painkillers, but I'm on the mend now.

      Hopefully, I'll catch up with you on Twitter on Wednesday.

      Delete
  2. Pleased to hear that you are making progress and well done on hitting those targets. I'm going to check on mine right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you managed to get some of your goals completed L, thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're a little better, Maria - and that's a great list of goals! What a good idea to have a twitter chat - will try and join in when home that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed the twitter event is 8pm - will try and remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing brilliantly!

    I got enough done to feel happy with my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of interviewing your main character - I must try that. I've only just read your blog, so I missed the Twitter chat which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria - I've nominated you for a blog award. If you wish to accept, you can find it here: http://ros-readingandwriting.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!