_

Pages

Sunday, 8 February 2015

Goal list - Week Commencing 8th February 2015

Spring Blooms - Maria A Smith
The last week has been productive on many fronts. I'm making good progress health-wise, and at last,  beginning to feel more like my old self.

Because I haven't been outside for six weeks, I'm not aware of what is happening in the garden, and beyond. Feeling a bit institutionalised, I ordered some flowers on my weekly internet shop to cheer myself up. When the daffodils turned up on Wednesday evening their buds were tightly closed, and much to my surprise, and delight, when I walked into the kitchen the following morning, the sight that met my eyes, made me smile. Just look at those blooms!

Usually I prefer my daffodils in the garden, or in a woodland setting, they herald  the beginning of spring is just around the corner. They've been making the news this week too. Apparently, supermarkets have had to move them away from the fruit and vegetable aisles, where they traditionally sit with the flowers. The reason given is that people are mistaking them for food! Public Health England has warned that they may be mistaken for onions or Chinese vegetables. I'm very surprised, however daffodils contain toxic alkaloids which cause severe vomiting.

Writing  - Did the monologue from my protagonist's POV, and learnt some interesting new information about her character. A writing buddy also sent over several questions via email, and told me not to think about them too much, and just to answer them off the cuff. I did, and that has also helped with fleshing her out. Luckily for me this weeks writing challenge was to write a monologue, so it was a case of two birds with one stone.

Reading - I'm loving my latest book choice. I've almost finished The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins definitely compulsive, gripping and a first class read! K.M. Weiland's book, Outlining Your Novel is proving a hit too. Tons of good writerly advice to take forward.

Last week you may recall, Patsy Collins and I decided to try an experiment on Twitter. Using the hashtag #writingchat we agreed a time of 8pm on Wednesday evening, and put the word out that we would show up and chat about writerly matters for an hour. Wow! What a turn out we had, and lots of writerly chatter too. So we're going to do it again soon. I'll keep you updated.

The week ahead looks like this...

Healthwise - Gentle stretching. Very gentle stretching, and I have been warned NOT to overdo it. The osteopath is giving me a week off so that everything can settle, and so that he can see if I can make any progress on my own.

Reading - I'll finish the current book and look for my next read...I welcome suggestions. Writing Magazine has arrived so I'll be having a catch up with that too.

Writing - Although time consuming, I'm enjoying bringing more depth to my novel. This week I'm hoping to re-write some pages. I'll also get another blog post out, and complete the writing challenge as set by a writing buddy. The brief is, 'A Punishment To Fit The Crime' which I was given this morning, and I'll have one hour to work on this theme. Mmm, will have to see what I can come up with...we both work to the same brief, and then swap work via email for critique. We've been doing this for many years, and from these small beginnings have created some great writing, a lot of which has gone on to bigger things.

How did last week go for you? Did things pan out the way you expected?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Maria - great to see the first shoots of positivity pushing up through the soil of health of problems you've been suffering of late. Well done on the novel work and we all really enjoyed #writingchat this week. Provided a really welcome boost to the podcast too.

    I've managed a few hundred words today and I'm enjoying the sunshine through the window of the office.

    Keep up the good momentum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wayne, Glad you enjoyed #writingchat and I listened to the podcast the next day. All good stuff!

      Delete
  2. Sounds as though you are making slow but good progress on the health front Maria. The ideas you've tried for expanding your character description are interesting too. All the best with the redrafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine, its been good to do something constructive.

      Delete
  3. Weird, my email always decides to wait two days before giving me your posts. But I'm glad it's looking better. Those daffs are lovely! Never thought of having flowers in the house, I think that might be a nice touch. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you haven't had flowers in the house! They can't fail to cheer you up...

      Delete
  4. I have just bought K M Welland's Outlining Your Novel and agree, it's very good and has helped me get my novel clearer in my head. The daffodils look lovely, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant book for anyone who is starting a new novel , very helpful advice, and like you say it does make things much clearer.

      Delete
  5. Purdy daffy-dills. Hope you get feeling fit and spry soon. Thanks for dropping by my place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm getting there now. Flowers never fail to cheer. :-)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!