|Image Credit - Pixabay|
I set out with best intentions last Sunday, however the best laid plans can be turned upside down. It's irritating, but you have to get on with things don't you? A few changed appointments scuttled some of my 'booked' writing sessions, but that wasn't the main culprit, unfortunately, I had a Scrivener issue, due to lack of knowledge, and I did something to mess up my manuscript. Never mind, overall it was slower week, but progress was made.
1. Phoenix Writing Group Challenge - DONE - Friday teatime wasn't the ideal time to do this considering I needed it on Saturday morning, but it was a tricky challenge. I had 150 words to write about eating my favourite food, and finding something nasty within it. I wrote from the point of view of a cat finding a tablet in their fish dinner, and their plan for revenge! It proved a hit with the writers group and I got a few laughs too.
2. #writingchat - DONE - Good topic on Wednesday evening, all about promoting yourself, and your writing. Quite a gathering on Twitter, and some very good ideas came out of it.
3. Blog - DONE - You can read all about rewarding yourself here.
4. Novel Rewrite - DONE mostly everything I wanted to achieve this week, although lots of technical issues as my original Word document became corrupt! As well as me not being very competent on Scrivener too. I edited a couple of chapters, and that involved some rewriting, and had to be a bit brutal and cut even more of the manuscript. Also made quite a few notes in between times when I wasn't behind the desk. All in all, I managed to work on the novel, five out of seven days.
5. Flash - DONE - Decided to try my hand at a comedy flash piece - well it took on a life of its own, and is heading towards a short story now. I sent it over to a friend who regularly writes comedy, and he said it made him laugh, so I'm on the right track hopefully. It was fun to do, but a hard challenge for me.
Having unexpected stuff happen meant being away from my desk, I didn't get to write something every day. I missed two sessions but all things considered, I'm happy with my output.
Real Life - Very busy. Managed between work, hospital appointments, exercise, and running the home. Like lots of you, I juggled through the week, stopping along the way for lunch with a friend on Wednesday, and a good session at the writers group yesterday. Even managed some reading, so I'm pretty pleased with the last week overall. I will admit, the early nights I'd planned didn't happen, and that is regretful.
The Week Ahead
1. Novel Rewrite - More of the same - Lots of editing, and one character needs more work. At some point I'm going to have to do some research too.
2. #Writingchat - More writerly chatter on Twitter on Wednesday at 8pm - 9pm GMT. Topic to be revealed later.
3. Blog - A midweek post
4. Exercise and Diet - As writers we sit on our bottoms quite a lot. I must avoid this at all cost, due to recent back issues, instead it's crucial I get a good variety of exercise to stay healthy. Walking, sitting and standing needs to be alternated.
I'm two weeks into a Pilates class to strengthen my core muscles and help maintain a strong posture. It's very hard, and in truth, I haven't looked forward to going to either session, but once I've been, I'm glad I made the effort. I'm also striding up and down the pool every other day which I don't mind at all as this is valuable thinking time, and better for you than walking according to the physiotherapist. Although walking is pleasurable in its own right, and later this week I'll be slipping off to Derbyshire to do a little Nordic walking, I can't wait to get out into the fresh air.
Eating a healthy diet is tricky when you love food, but I'm keen to get into some shorts this summer, so for the next few weeks, I'm going to try extra hard NOT to eat too many naughty treats. I'm not banning them altogether because that won't work, I need a few to get myself behind the desk to write! Lured there on a Sunday evening on the promise of tea and chocolate, works wonders for the word count, except tonight it'll be a low calorie hot chocolate drink at the end of the hour instead.
I'll be 'editing' my diet a little over the next few weeks and hopefully, I'll be sporting some shorts by July! Any tips?
Right, the sun is shining outside my window, so time to go - Do share your plans for the week, or tell me what you achieved last week? I love hearing from you...