_

Pages

Sunday, 26 April 2015

Plans Change (Goals Part 3) - 26th April 2015


Image Credit - Pixabay

I set out with best intentions last Sunday, however the best laid plans can be turned upside down. It's irritating, but you have to get on with things don't you? A few changed appointments scuttled some of my 'booked' writing sessions, but that wasn't the main culprit, unfortunately, I had a Scrivener issue, due to lack of knowledge, and I did something to mess up my manuscript. Never mind, overall it was  slower week, but progress was made.

1. Phoenix Writing Group Challenge -  DONE - Friday teatime wasn't the ideal time to do this considering I needed it on Saturday morning, but it was a tricky challenge. I had 150 words to write about eating my favourite food, and finding something nasty within it. I wrote from the point of view of a cat finding a tablet in their fish dinner, and their plan for revenge! It proved a hit with the writers group and I got a few laughs too.

2. #writingchat  - DONE - Good topic on Wednesday evening, all about promoting yourself, and your writing. Quite a gathering on Twitter, and some very good ideas came out of it.

3. Blog - DONE - You can read all about rewarding yourself here.

4. Novel Rewrite - DONE mostly everything I wanted to achieve this week, although lots of technical issues as my original Word document became corrupt! As well as me not being very competent on Scrivener too. I edited a couple of chapters, and that involved some rewriting, and had to be a bit brutal and cut even more of the manuscript. Also made quite a few notes in between times when I wasn't behind the desk. All in all, I managed to work on the novel, five out of seven days.

5. Flash - DONE - Decided to try my hand at a comedy flash piece - well it took on a life of its own, and is heading towards a short story now. I sent it over to a friend who regularly writes comedy, and he said it made him laugh, so I'm on the right track hopefully. It was fun to do, but a hard challenge for me.

Having unexpected stuff happen meant being away from my desk, I didn't get to write something every day. I missed two sessions but all things considered, I'm happy with my output.

Real Life - Very busy. Managed between work, hospital appointments, exercise, and running the home. Like lots of you, I juggled through the week, stopping along the way for lunch with a friend on Wednesday, and a good session at the writers group yesterday. Even managed some reading, so I'm pretty pleased with the last week overall. I will admit, the early nights I'd planned didn't happen, and that is regretful.

The Week Ahead 

1. Novel Rewrite - More of the same - Lots of editing, and one character needs more work. At some point I'm going to have to do some research too.

2#Writingchat - More writerly chatter on Twitter on Wednesday at 8pm - 9pm GMT. Topic to be revealed later.

3. Blog - A midweek post

4. Exercise and Diet - As writers we sit on our bottoms quite a lot. I must avoid this at all cost, due to recent back issues, instead it's crucial I get a good variety of exercise to stay healthy. Walking, sitting and standing needs to be alternated.

I'm two weeks into a Pilates class to strengthen my core muscles and help maintain a strong posture. It's very hard, and in truth, I haven't looked forward to going to either session, but once I've been, I'm glad I made the effort. I'm also striding up and down the pool every other day which I don't mind at all as this is valuable thinking time, and better for you than walking according to the physiotherapist. Although walking is pleasurable in its own right, and later this week I'll be slipping off to Derbyshire to do a little Nordic walking, I can't wait to get out into the fresh air.

Eating a healthy diet is tricky when you love food, but I'm keen to get into some shorts this summer, so for the next few weeks, I'm going to try extra hard NOT to eat too many naughty treats. I'm not banning them altogether because that won't work, I need a few to get myself behind the desk to write! Lured there on a Sunday evening on the promise of tea and chocolate, works wonders for the word count, except tonight it'll be a low calorie hot chocolate drink at the end of the hour instead.

I'll be 'editing' my diet a little over the next few weeks and hopefully, I'll be sporting some shorts by July! Any tips?

Right, the sun is shining outside my window, so time to go - Do share your plans for the week, or tell me what you achieved last week? I love hearing from you...

14 comments:

  1. Well done you for so much planning, good luck with it all, it inspires me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole it does make a huge difference to my output...hope you get sorted out.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Maria. That's an impressive list of achievements - I know you had to work hard to hit your targets despite being thrown a few real life curveballs. Good to hear your pushing forward with the health stuff too. Don't know about you, but the sunshine has lifted my mood no end.

    Happy writing this week.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine has been a real treat - I want more! Definitely lifted the mood of everyone I know.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with all you've achieved during the week, Maria! I keep forgetting about #twitterchat, although it's often the evening my daughter is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try and join in with #writingchat really informative and friendly tweeple, and your input would be most welcome.

      Delete
  4. There's so much talk at the moment about how bad sitting is for our health. Perhaps all we writers should invest in one of those bouncy balls to sit on. They're supposed to be amazing. I'm just back from teaching a yoga class - so different from teaching in the afternoon or evening. I feel quite energised, and hope my students do, too. The rest of the day will be desk bound. I wonder if I can type standing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I'm lucky enough to have a standing desk, it is really useful - a little odd at first but once you get used to it the benefits are great... I also heard you lose weight standing up. Switching between sitting and standing up is best for everyone. And getting out for a walk, or a stretch even more important.

      Delete
  5. I'd say you did brilliantly! Good luck for the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds very positive, Maria - loads achieved. Keep up with the pilates. I love it and think it is the best form of exercise. Sure you'll really benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been to my third Pilates class Wendy - finding it very hard, but I'll definitely keep going...

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good week to me, Maria. ^_^ Lots of bits done and a good, clear plan for what's to follow. Waving my pom-poms for you over here.

    As to Scrivener, I know it's a pain, but it is worth sticking with and I know you will. Also, I've been thinking about it a lot and I honestly don't think it will be much different on a Mac to a PC. To that end, do you want to sit down for a bit on Saturday and go through it? If you can bring a laptop along? Or we can meet at another point and I'll trade off some working tips just to see if it streamlines things for you. Conversion can be a real pain, but once it's done and the programme is set up the way you like it will shave hours off your working time . . . it has for me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, that would help me out...perhaps we can arrange something. I'll email you.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!