_

Pages

Sunday, 19 April 2015

Progress So Far (Goals Part 2) - 19th April 2015

Let There Be Cake - Maria A Smith

I made a plan last week, top priority being health and relaxation, I'm pleased to report, I looked after myself. Lots of walking, water therapy, and my first Pilates session. Not too hard, although I was eating those words the following day.

This is how it went writing wise. I made the schedule, planned in the time, and cracked on with it! I set my 'bar' in hours, rather than word count as I wanted to get an idea of how long it would take me to do all the writerly things I wanted to achieve during the week. Eight hours wasn't enough, in total I did just over eleven hours, and I didn't complete the list. I'm not upset, I feel its been a good first week, and I've learned a few things along the way.

The Novel - Because I'm dealing with a rewrite, its very difficult to gauge it by word count, although I do need to keep a tally. Also, if I'm to finish by my deadline, I need to make it my priority. Instead of doing other stuff. However, I know me, I'm the sort of writer who performs better with a variety of stuff going on. Put simply, I'm the multitasking type, I like variety. It inspires me, and sparks my creativity, but I need to get the balance right. I'll be working on that one this coming week.

2. Scrivener - I dived in head first, and have made progress in learning the basics.

3. Accountability - I mentioned, my writing buddy last week, but failed to introduce him. How remiss of me, so let me do it now. My accountability partner is Wayne Kelly, he blogs over at Kelly's Eye and you can find him on Twitter here, under the guise of @MrKelly2u where he tweets regularly.

4. Other Writerly Stuff - Mostly everything else got done, except subbing two pieces of writing, which I'm racked off about, as I scheduled the time. However, instead of staying on plan, I ended up turning a 100 word flash piece into a short story of 1200 words! Good to have another short story written, BUT, it wasn't in the plan this week. I'll try harder not to deviate.

The writers group was fun, lots of good stories, and some really useful critique. Afterwards, our Subs Club met, and we discussed progress and plans for the next month. Everyone is so positive and focused. I feel so lucky to be part of something so good.
I blogged midweek, but didn't use my own images, although I have today (I'm honing the camera habit) and also took part in another good session of #writingchat too, so looking at the big picture, I've had a really good week. Much better than I thought I'd do, and I'm motivated to go forward.

The week ahead...

Mindful of the past week, I need to work on less projects.

1. Phoenix Writing Group Challenge -  I'll be going to the group on Saturday, so I'll need do the 150 word challenge  beforehand if possible, and not on the morning of the meeting, which I've done before.

2. #writingchat  - Wednesday on Twitter at 8pm  - 9pm GMT, feel free to join in with other writers, talking about the craft.

3. Blog - A mid-week post.

4. Novel Rewrite - Some good feedback on Saturday on my last chapter, means a few more edits before I move on.

5. Flash - Almost forgot, going to try my hand at a comedy flash piece.

I'm going to commit to writing EVERYDAY, (I managed it last week) but at least four sessions must be on the novel. As for how long I spend, or how many words I get down, I'll keep a note as I'm still very much settling in with the new schedule, and expect I'll have to work at it, to get the best fit for my lifestyle.

Regarding everything else, I'll maintain my fitness programme, work on getting to bed before 11pm a couple of nights, and aim to relax with some reading.

How did your week go? Was it as productive as you hoped? How do you plan your week? Pen and paper 'To Do List?' Spreadsheets? Or is it all in your head? Whatever you're planning, make it a good week.

16 comments:

  1. Well done, Maria - you are cramming a lot of stuff in, including the all-important health and well-being time. Keep up the momentum and I look forward to hearing how you get on through the week.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your list, Maria - it's great to see you feeling better and doing lots of walking again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, I'm trying my best to keep the momentum up where exercise is concerned. Not always easy but so necessary for mobility.

      Delete
  3. Sounds a great plan, Maria - all the best with these goals and well done so far. We had a lovely three days off over the weekend and visited different places each day. I really felt the benefit of it and have lots of good photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely way to spend the weekend. I'm due one like that soon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for dropping by, didn't realise at first, as following your First Draft Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole, good to see you over here in the cafe... :-)

      Delete
  5. I, too, perform better when I have a lot to do. I love your listerly approach and look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I have to write a list otherwise nothing gets done! Honestly, I would be so disorganised without one...

      Delete
  6. Hi Maria. It's good to hear you're looking after yourself and writing too. I've tried Scrivener but it was too difficult for me! I'm happy just to write in Word on my MacBook. I've started novel #2 of my historical trilogy set in France during WW2. I'm waiting for my critique back from the Romantic Novelists' Association's New Writers' Scheme. Last week I didn't get much writing done because I spent 3 days in London at The London Book Fair and browsing book shops. It's my annual 'me-time.' I came back with 6 books, one skirt and a pair of sunglasses! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrivener is a challenge - But I have so many friends now who are using it and singing its praises, I wanted to at least have a try! I'll get there, slowly.
      Good to hear about your progress, and how lucky are you going to the London Book Fair...

      Delete
  7. I've just found this blog and it looks great. Fab to find someone who is into dark fiction. I tried to sign up for email updates but struggled as I don't use my google account. Am looking forward to exploring the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, lovely to see you here. :-) I'm currently writing a dark supernatural novel for my sins. Hopefully we can catch up more through the blog.

      Delete
  8. Personally, I wouldn't worry about deviating on your 100 word flash. The idea was there and if you hadn't written it at the time the work may not have had the fabric and texture that inspirational writing often has. Sometimes storing notes and ideas never quite tastes the same when you fish them out of the pantry later. Brave decision to blog twice a week, with everything else you have on, so good luck with that. Kites fly higher against the wind as Churchill said, so you are really going for it.
    Scrivener is a challenge, and one I will tackle but I'm not relishing it.
    This week for me is - prep my blog post for next Monday's 'The Escape Line', edit the next two chapters and do some more research. Good luck with the rest of your week Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your blog posts Keith - it is a challenge to do two a week, but I like to pace myself. It will only be a short one.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!