_

Pages

Thursday, 23 April 2015

Reward Yourself

Spring Has Sprung! - Maria A Smith

Do you reward yourself for your writerly successes? You're so worth it, and by rewarding yourself you're saying well done. Here are some ideas, please feel free to add your own in the comments.

1. Retail Therapy (Controlled) - Take yourself off to you favourite stationer and revel in looking round at all those notebooks, pens, designer Kindle covers and anything else that takes your fancy. The trick is to give yourself a budget beforehand to avoid any shopaholic tendencies, try imagining someone has given you an amount of cash, which you must stick to religiously. 

2. Away Day -
Get out and about, do something different, take the train, or go on the bus, visit your nearest city, find the tourist information centre and act like a day-tripper. Take part in a blue badge walk, ride the open top bus, visit the museums, and art galleries, and soak in the culture. You'll be amazed at what you didn't know about your locality.

3. Pampering - There is nothing wrong with a little self-indulgent pleasure. How about a massage? Or a facial, a manicure or a pedicure?  Or a super luxurious day at the spa? Is there a better way to give yourself a pat on the back for all those words you wrote?

4. Breakfast - Yes really, going for lunch is nothing new, but ringing a friend and inviting them for breakfast for a writerly natter or otherwise, is different. A lot of hotels will let you waltz in and order up! Premier Inn are particularly good at this, and don't charge big bucks. Lingering over a hearty breakfast will set you up for the day.

5. Take a class - Learn something new. Be impulsive, book an artisan bread making class, or take time out to do a photography workshop, or perhaps you've always fancied learning how to knit, or sew? There are so many things you could learn from baking to racing around a track for the day, Step out of your comfort zone and surprise yourself.

6. Chocolate - Do I need to explain?

7. Reading - Afford yourself the time to slip into a good book, without worrying about when you've got to come up to do anything else.

Over to you now, how do you reward yourself? What carrot do you dangle in front of  yourself? Big or small, tell us all about it.

10 comments:

  1. Very 'rewarding' post, Maria!

    For me, I like to hit my word target with the promise of one of my nice beers and a slob-out in front of the TV afterwards. You're talking about chocolate and pampering and I go straight for the beers - talk about re-enforcing stereotypes!

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly almost mentioned beer!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's hard to give ourselves permission to be what seems on the face of it self-indulgent, but I agree: it's important to pepper the week with little treats. Sometimes even a shop-bought sandwich is enough to lift the spirits - even though it's ridiculously overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes work towards a Costa and cake! Naughty, but very nice.

      Delete
  3. Writing is reward enough, surely? No, you're right - two rewards are better than one!

    I think it's important to notice our achievements and record them in some way, whether it's finishing a first draft or making a sale. I have an ongoing list of tasks which I tick off as they're done - and when I have enough ticks I've earned the rest of the day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent reward Patsy...

      Delete
  4. I reached a goal at the gym, so rewarded myself with some new gym clothes. I tend not to with writing, because it seems never ending. I do allow myself to jump around if I get an acceptance though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one...I'm exercising a lot, and reward myself on a Friday when I allow myself to use the sauna and jacuzzi for half an hour after its done.

      Delete
  5. You have some great ones--- hmmmm I do love to shop-and a good movie does the trick too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a little retail therapy...did a wee bit myself today. New gym bag. :-)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!