_

Pages

Sunday, 12 April 2015

Tackling the Mountain (Goals Part 1) - April 12th 2015

Getting Started - Image Credit Pixabay

Isn't life strange, last week got busy. On Wednesday I returned to work on reduced hours. I'm getting stronger each day, increasing my physical therapy steadily, and  I'm about to embark on a rewrite of my novel.

In truth, I'm not looking forward to tackling it, at the moment it looks like the highest mountain, its not enough to show up with my gear and a guide book, it requires strength and stamina too. I'm hoping once I've started I'll soon get on track. I'd like the rewrite finished by October 31st 2015. Yes folks, that is a deadline!

I've sorted the plot out whilst I've been off my feet, done 75% of the rewrite outline, and now I need to get back to the writing. This week, my goal is to do the following.

1. Make a Schedule - Every day I need to find snatches of time to do writerly stuff. Like a lot of writers, my biggest problem will be sitting down and getting the work done. Therefore a schedule, written into my diary will help me to keep on the straight and narrow. I need to set a bar, therefore as its my first week, I'm going to say eight hours, rather than a word count.

2. Use Scrivener - I've decided there is no easy way to learn this programme - I'm going to jump in and do it! I expect some initial frustration but this is the tool I want to use for this novel.

3. Accountability - Apart from putting my goal list here on the blog, I've got an accountability partner, a writing buddy to keep me on the straight and narrow. Therefore, I'll be checking in with him later today. We've agreed Sunday fits with both of us.

I'll be recording my progress here, most likely rejigging anything that needs to be fixed. Its time to get it written. Writing a novel is tough, time-consuming, and scary, but also exciting!

Apart from the novel, this week, I've got other writerly things happening.

4. Writers Group Challenge - Invent a new cliche to replace an old one. Hmm, not sure what I'll be doing for that one.

5. Attend Phoenix Writers Group - I am so lucky to belong to such a proactive group of writers.

6. Run Phoenix Writers Subs Group  - After the general meeting, a smaller group meets to discuss opportunities for subbing our work. I need to send out an email, and prepare.

 7. Submissions - I need to get back to subbing. Two pieces minimum, this week.

8. Blog - One post to help me get back into the habit of regular blogging, which I enjoy, and also, fifteen minutes spent visiting other blogs.

9. #Writingchat - Another session of writerly chat on Wednesday evening 8pm - 9pm GMT Do join in, its fun and informative, and we have a different topic every week.

Other Stuff

There won't be huge junks of time for anything else, but top priority will be health and relaxation. Water wading at the pool, and making sure I get some sleep.

I want to get back to using my camera, now I can get out and about, and the weather is better. Using my own images on my blog is important to me, however Pixabay has been invaluable these last few months. A great resource, you can use their images for free as they have all been donated by people like myself, and are free of all copyright, and are distributed as creative commons. If you see fit - its not obligatory - you can donate the price of a cup of coffee for the use of an image.

Right, I'm off to find my ropes and backpack, I've got a huge mountain to climb this week.  I'll let you know how I get on next Sunday, or if I stray off the path. What are you up to? Have you got a particular goal in mind?

20 comments:

  1. I sense that the sun is shining through the window now Maria. Good to read your list. 'You have the column now. Steady as you go, impulse power only again this week.' Scrivener looks good and I will be using it soon. It looks like a bit of a work out is needed with it first though to get the best use. Straightforward goals for me this week: Make the few small changes to my manuscript after Saturday's critique from Phoenix and pull together the various submission requirements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to use Scrivener, I think if I can learn the basics it will be really good, and will speed up some tasks I hate such as scrolling through word to previous chapters etc
      Good luck with your goals for this week Keith...

      Delete
  2. Good luck with these goals! Definitely get some rest :-)

    My goal is to get a first draft written, but I haven't thought of a deadline - I really should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annalisa, definitely give yourself a deadline, it'll keep you focused. I'm planning a few afternoon naps...just forty winks to give me a boost.. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow - you've set the bar high, but this is a good plan of what you want to achieve. Recording hours spent on Writerly stuff is an interesting way to do it, and knowing you I'm sure you'll find you tend to spend more time on wordy things that you probably realise.

    As your Writing Buddy, I feel as if the gauntlet has been thrown down and I need to scuttle off to make my plans known to the world too. Looking forward to upping my productivity in the coming months. Good luck!

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your comment made me laugh...and yes, get your goals up where we can see them! I'm aiming high the first week so I can see what I'm capable of, and it may well be, not as much as I think I am, but it may also be way more... :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm doing the little happy dance, knowing you've got stuff lined up to keep you busy. It's going to be a full week, but I've seen that determined sparkle in your eye. You're going to do it! I know you are. :)

    So, I guess all I can do is stand on the sidelines of your route up the mountain and wave pom poms at you. Oh, and occasionally I'll turn up at other checkpoints to hand you water, fresh ropes and those plastic pin-things you use to provide grips and handholds when there aren't any.

    Go, girl. This novel won't know what hit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, what would I do without your support...So far I'm climbing steadily, pacing myself. Always good to have support from other writers, who know the pain of a big challenge. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. A positive post. I admire your vision and focus. I can't believe it's already April and my lists are getting longer and my goals are no nearer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you are coming from with that statement. Hope you manage to tick some stuff off your list this week.

      Delete
  6. Another well organised and determined individual. Good luck with the goals. Remember to find time to fulfil a few dreams too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Bea, hoping to have a piece of chocolate and aubergine cake with a cup of tea on Friday afternoon for good behaviour. Yum!

      Delete
  7. A great list of goals, Maria, and I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. No doubt the warmer weather (when it arrives) will help. Good luck with that novel - it's not a bad idea to set a target for finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary, as I type the sun is gloriously shining outside my window. Makes us feel so much better. Have a good week.

      Delete
  8. Glad that you are feeling better and have been able to return to work. I'm in awe of your goals list for this week, but you have inspired me to think again about goals. I used to make a weekly list as you do, but drifted out of the habit. Starting next Monday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Christine! There is something empowering about putting a line through an item on a list!

      Delete
  9. A writing buddy to check in with and help with motivation sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works, and can be quite entertaining too... :-)

      Delete
  10. Good luck Maria! I always find writing buddies keep me motivated. I think Spring time is also a great season to get inspired and get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Vikki, Spring is a great time to start afresh with things.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!